Challenging Gold

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by malikguy, Nov 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was curious if you could challenge status with Marriott and so I called MR up. You can, there is no fee to enroll and you get up to 4 months to complete as long as you enroll on or after the 1st of the month. They cannot pre or post date your enrollment so you must call in on the day that you want to enroll. Also, you are upgraded to the status you are challenging immediately. It's very important to make sure you can complete the challenge. If not, you are banned from challenging for a year. Here's the challenge info.

Silver: 3 separate stays
    Gold: 6 separate stays
    Platinum: 9 separate stays

From my understanding, you cannot qualify based on nights anymore. I will keep my challenge status up-to-date in my signature for those who may be interested. Wish me luck!!

Kalboz, Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah this seems very different from the last few reports of challenges from Marriott.

Doing stays instead of nights would definitely make things more challenging (ha!) but I suppose it's still not that difficult.

I don't remember having to call for anything, you just replied back to the email and told them that you were good to go, and they would immediately enable your status and start the clock. Also, I think it used to be 90 days rather than 120.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally, I think it depends. I feel like with stays it's easier (and cheaper) to complete the challenge. Where as I do a lot of one night weekend stays, I could essentially obtain a Platinum challenge within 9 consecutive weekends instead of 18 nights. They have effectively reduced the minimum amount of nights required for the challenge to 9 instead of 18. I decided against Platinum though and will be happy with Gold benefits so I'm shooting for 6 stays. Regarding responding to an e-mail... I don't have an e-mail to reply to which is why I called. ;) Was Marriott soliciting challenges via e-mail at one point?

Kalboz, Singapore Flyer and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends like you said... if you have short stays coming up -- or you can plan a bunch of days/weekends to maximize the stays, then it could work better that way. If you have consecutive nights coming up though, it's more convenient to do nights rather than stays.

If on the other hand you have consecutive nights coming up during a trip, it's messier (albeit possible) to turn those into stays, but it's easier to meet the challenge if they're counting days.

Kalboz, Singapore Flyer and malikguy like this.
  5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true, it can go both ways. I guess it depends on if you are going out of town for weekend trips or are you taking a week long vacation. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a different view on this. I signed up my wife for the challenge as she had a business trip in Asia with a couple of Marriott stays. We went for the platinum challenge as the gold benefits seemed lacking and all the comments here indicated that MR Gold is one of the weaker statuses in terms of realized benefits. I thought about whether to go for and finish up the challenge as she has only another 4 stays to go but went against it. Here is my thinking on why. After January, of she can't get it done, then she has to wait a year. Well, I can then sign up and we have another 4 months. With spacing in between and our other status we will have close to a year with platinum benefits. Wash and rinse and repeat next year. If u make the challenge you are forever banned. I rather be banned for a year than forever as I have the status for the duration of the challenge. One of probably many caveats, you finish the challenge in beginning of 2013 and theoretically u have it to the beginning of 2015.

Kalboz and malikguy like this.
  7. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you know about that? In another forum I was told that you will not be banned forever if you made Plat. I wouldn't mind knowing because I'm setting Mr. Nacho up Plat Challenge in Feb.

Thanks in advance!

8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this true? I have asked people in another forum but on one reply to my question. Someone said you can do it every 12 months but no one ever mentioned that you can't do it again.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's what the CSR told me when I signed up my wife. I didn't question it as that is the same for SPG...may have been misinformed. :eek:

10. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definately on board with the 4 month strategy across two accounts (mine and my wifes) based on the fact that you only get to challenge once per account (ever). But, now I'm curious to know if that's truly the case. I know that even with AA, you can challenge once every 4 years. Can anyone confrim this? I will call MR and see what the next couple reps say about it and post what I find out.

Kalboz and Singapore Flyer like this.
  11. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't keep asking for the challenge - I do believe that Marriott can see it and if you have a record of not completing challenges they might not offer it to you anymore.

12. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did confirm that you cannot re-challenge to renew status, however, you can re-challenge as many times even if you successfully complete a challenge.

13. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice to know - thanks! I definitely put Mr. Nacho up for Plat challenge.

malikguy likes this.