Challenges Getting Seat Assignments for CX F Award

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by gleff, Jun 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have a CX F award booked with AA miles. The intra-Asia segments are in business, no problem assigning seats online.

The JFK-HKG flights though, nothing was open on the seat map, the website gave me an option to submit a request for seats, which I did.

My wife and I were assigned seats on opposite sides of the cabin.

No other seats in the cabin had yet been booked.

I called CX and they couldn't see any available seats for assignment. Tried to escalate, nothing.

We're the only two people in the cabin, both directions, and could not get seats assigned next to each other. And no one seemed able to help.

Fortunately, I met a CX VP for the Americas at the Oneworld MegaDO, still had his card. Sure, it's a bit below his pay grade, but I emailed him nonetheless, and a few hours later we had seats assigned together :)

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully for us as well as CX, this will lead to a fix in the process which allows people of the appropriate job grade to do the seat assignments as opposed to wasting the time of someone higher up just to read your email and send the request down to that person anyway.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got our FC CX tickets - I think it was in March - for JFK-HKG-BKK. Also used AA miles. CX website said too early to get seats but I called anyway. We were assigned the seats we requested without a problem - maybe it's just who you talk to.

My sense, however, is that I only did it because I'm obsessive-compulsive and wanted it nailed down. There are six seats, as you know, and it seems none are really "made" for couples so hard to imagine it really mattered. Took right window-center on outbound and left window-aisle on return. Can't wait. But things change - I was the guru as we were going with another couple and they also snagged two FC seats on different flights on the same day. Just found out one of their daughters is pregnant and due a week before the trip. Oh well - many worse reasons to cancel a wonderful trip!

gleff and cennas like this.
  4. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also booked in March for JFK-HKG-BKK and called this morning for seat assignments. I wasn't able to book the seat I wanted JFK-HKG, but at least I know I am assigned a seat now.

First time flying CX F. Very excited. :)

infamousdx, gleff and cennas like this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad that I had no problems self-assigning seats on the website for my F flights in a couple of months.

Also very excited, it will be my first time in CX F (and it was booked using BD miles! :) )

infamousdx and gleff like this.
  6. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    And this made me check about my seats for November---was able to take care of it online! Looking forward to my first CX F, too! (using AA miles, and just switched from dca-ord-hkg-bkk to dca-jfk-hkg-bkk.)

7. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Row 1 or 2? Is the galley bothersome in row 1?

8. Phly4Phun

Phly4Phun Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sat 1A... HKG-LAX and it was fine

9. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was able to move seats around to get 1 D/K. Seat 2K was blocked for airport assignment - from FT it seems they block it for bassinet passengers.

On a side note - does anyone have experience of more F seats opening up for redemptions closer to departure if there are still 4 or 5 seats open for revenue?

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    very bothersome if you have chatty inconsiderate crew like I did on my HKG-LAX flight. I could hear them talk from 1A.

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Award seats come and go as departure approaches, 30 days... 7 days.. 3 days etc

12. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'll just have to keep checking everyday for changes in availability.

13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try signing up for an Asia Miles account, then search for award sets on the desired flights, and when it says it is full, click "waitlist." I think they will email you if space opens up, at which point you can call AA and see if the seat is available to them. I don't know if this works or not.

14. smitty06

smitty06 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked 2D for myself and 2K for my traveling companion. We were warned that they could be bumped from the seat if needed for a baby. The agent says that they usually dont book it ahead of time so no one loses their seat assignment.