CEO Frits van Paasschen resigns at Starwood Hotels

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by uggboy, Feb 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    CEO Frits van Paasschen resigns at Starwood Hotels

NYBanker and Newscience like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    MORE:

Starwood's van Paasschen out as CEO—here's why

MX, NYBanker and Newscience like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is big news. I thought Frits did a decent job of really making Starwood into a brand versus a loose affiliation of flags.

Who knows what his KPIs were....sounds like licensed growth was too slow.

Sammich and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, he was a great brand builder, but for some as you pointed out the growth he oversaw was a bit too slow. I find that Starwood should concentrate to grow further in their "niches" incl. lifestyle, luxury and upper upscale, plus they should look out that all their brands are combine to offer a superior product in the future and this should include their SPG program too, more innovation and more rewarding service, design and experiences please. We will see how Starwood now will evolve in the longer term future. Cheers.

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good riddance. Starwood was a better company in 2007 than now.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, the quality overall incl. the "worth" of points and the positive aspects of loyalty within SPG have declined over the past few years. Sadly the decline was also experienced during our stays at their properties in terms of "how the hotels are run towards the guest" and "what we can / could expect during our stays with them".

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    MX likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that is probably true for any program I am a member of.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....but rarely does a program so "over-promise" and "under-deliver" like SPG. They've lost "contact" with guests who value good hotels, consistent services, best in class experiences incl. food / drinks / offerings and loyalty.

MX likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Measured how?

Note: I am not an SPG fanboy. I haven't stayed at an SPG property in over a year, as far as I recall. Just curious.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally like the hotels, including ones than are more individual than most properties in big chains like Marriot and Hilton. However, inconsistency is an issue, especially the maddening tendency of Plat Concierges who don't know the program and, when there's a preoblem, respond that late checkout isn't guaranteed in any SPG hotel and that you're not entitled to any room upgrade unless you use a SNA. Passing a test to demonstrate familiarity with program basics should be a prerequisite to pass the training period and periodic requalification should be required for all Plat Concierges and others who handle elite calls.

uggboy likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....as in our case, it's all about personal experience, that's all what we needed to know, especially when seen against other hotels / groups. From staying with them, showing some loyalty, wanting them to give our business to simple recognition which didn't really happen either at certain SPG properties, these are all reasons we didn't book / stayed with them in a longer time now.