Century Club and Most Traveled People: Sites geared towards people who've been to 100+ countries

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Cody, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Cody
    Original Member

Cody Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ran across the following article and thought the two websites it referenced might be interesting to MilePoint members.

The article from Spiegel contains discussion of "the world's most traveled person."
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,756379,00.html

Here are the links to the Traveler's Century Club - for individuals who have been to more than 100 countries:

http://www.travelerscenturyclub.org/

and the Most Travelled People website:

http://mosttraveledpeople.com/

Enjoy.

2. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of note, you don't actually have to have hit 100 countries to be a member of the Century Traveler's Club, at least not in Colorado. I contacted them last year (when I was approaching 70) as they had a presentation I wanted to see. Was told I was more than welcome to join in at that point, and I was more traveled than several of their existing members.

Not sure if other chapters have the same policy.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Cody
    Original Member

Cody Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I'm still under 50, myself.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On that note, what's people's favorite app/website to track all countries/regions/states they have visited?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My app is called Passport. I have two versions one US and one Brazil. They monitor and record all entries and exits to countries that participate in their active monitoring. Some, like many European states, do not, while others, like China and Saudi Arabia not only participate but give nice big stamps of their own, adding local flavor, but they do charge for them. These apps have been around for a very long time, but they still work quite well. :D

Seriously, I used to actively monitor mine but I quit at about 150 countries and no longer have any idea at all.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! That's really something.

I guess you get a free pass on counting between visiting 75% of all countries and 99% of all countries. Going from 99% to 100% is obviously more important.

Have you been to FNJ, HAV, IKA or BGW?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    100 countries = new target...I would've never thought this to be possible without FT/MP.

Mike1625 likes this.
  8. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I just thought that too .... 100 countries is my new target. I added 4 in the first half of this year, getting me to about 40 .... not bad for a 35 year old who has never traveled for work. I looked through some of the pictures on those sites, not many people under the age of 50.

9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nor even under 60 in the Colorado chapter. They looked skeptically at me when I went, but quickly warmed up. Lots of good stories.

Mike1625 likes this.
  10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use passportstamp.com (http://www.passportstamp.com/travel/Kiwiflyer) which uses the ISO list of countries. Very easy to use, although the site upgrade seems to be taking a long time to complete so some functionality is not yet back up.
    Most travelled person is too detailed for me - makes it a choir to maintain.

11. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Century Club's definition and list of "countries" is a joke. You can get 3 for never leaving the US! Alaska and Hawaii count as countries for the century club. Tasmania is counted separately from Australia. Okinawa is counted separately from Japan. Although the club uses a disclaimer: THIS LIST IS RECOGNIZED BY THE WORLD AS THE STANDARD OF COUNTRIES AND DESTINATIONS THAT ARE POLITICALLY, ETHNOLOGICALLY OR GEOGRAPHICALLY DIFFERENT, I'm still not buying it.

Were you aware that there are 7 different countries in Antarctica???

I map with world66. Keeps it simple.
    http://www.world66.com/myworld66/visitedCountries/membercolormap?member=redtape

12. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also use Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist. Most Traveled People was not bad when it was a free service. I liked how they did a count of World Heritage Sites.

Trip Advisor is not so accurate- ex. they count San Marino and The Vatican as cities in Italy when both are UN recognized countries...