Cents per SPG point

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Sagy, Jun 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have posted the same on FT, some people find the spreadsheet useful for MR since it can easily identify the cheapest hotel in your area of choice.

I have created Excel spreadsheet available on Google and setup a very basic web page for it.

Version 0.5d should provide useful information to users as is, but it is not tested.

Features (some might only work with Excel 2007) include:
    • The ability to get Room prices for any date range (up to 14 days) during the next year.
    • Getting Award as well as Cash&Points availability for the same dates.
    • Selecting hotels to be searched based on region, country or state (US only).
    • Sorting and filtering ability based on multiple criteria.
    • Calculating Cents/point for Awards, Cash & Points and 5th night free.
    • Ability to add approximate taxes percentage in cents per point calculation.
    • Ability to consider "points not earned" (SPG or AMEX) in cents per point calculation.
    • Hotel Category identifies hotels that are not bookable, Not participating, Limited participation or SVO.
    • Ability to identify the cheapest hotel room (before taxes) in a region, country, state, city for a given date.
    • Automatic update of foreign exchange rates.

known issues:
    1. Getting price information sometimes doesn't return full information (most common with China). The spreadsheet is setup to retry these once, user can change the number of retries to any other number. The program will report the number of hotels which failed to pull information.
    2. If SPG.com or web connection experience problems, the web query might hang.
    3. Pulling a large amount of data can take 15-30 minutes (depending on PC and connection speed).
    4. GUI interface/feedback requires work.

Please report any issues, suggestions and enhancement requests and I'll do my best to fix/accommodate requests as they come in.

Please note that while the spreadsheet is a .xls file (Excel 2003 format) all the development was done using Excel 2007. I might not be able to fix Excel 2003 specific issues.

The next version will be Excel 2007 only.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I'll check it out. Thanks.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are taxes and service charges on room rates included in your calculations? I'd ask the same for resort fees, but I think it's almost impossible to systematically find their details on spg.com.

Also, can you compare special rates, such as AAA and buy X/get one free night, or whatever special packages might be available?

Sagy likes this.
  4. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can enter the %tax+%Service if any but it is one number for the whole search - this can be available since Points and C&P are tax free and normally do not include % based service charges. Resort fess and fixed charges are excluded since, AFAIK, you have to pay them even if you are staying on points. The calculation does take the value of the taxes saves as well as the points that you would earn for room based on status and form of payment), you can also enter a point bonus (%, oer night or per stay) to calculate the value of redeeming points vs. paying for it.

5th night free is included where appropriate. Using special rates (AAA, AARP & SET) are on the to do list, but that is it :(

JohnDeere19 and SC Flier like this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cash portion of C&P awards are still typically supposed to be taxed, though some properties have been known to include the tax. Obviously, the tax on a C&P award should be much lower than the tax on a standard cash rate.

Sagy likes this.
  6. only rates show up for me... wonder if Im missing something. I input the check-in/out dates, where I want to travel, anything else?

7. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure that Macros are enabled in your Excel and after you select the location and date press the "Get Rates" button. It should show and progress window (very crude) and when do should take you the a view of all the hotels in the area you select with the cost per night and the value of SPG point used in each hotel.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is one incredibly powerful tool, thanks for putting this together!

Sagy likes this.