Central/South America or Caribbean Christmas Miles/Points Trip Ideas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mikus33, Oct 30, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I’m looking for help brainstorming ideas to go somewhere South over the Christmas holiday on miles/points. I’m just looking for ideas of locations that might have decent flight availability.
    • Fly 2 people (plus infant) in economy from MCI using AA miles, UA miles, or Avios, (would be open to business class as well)
    • Ideal dates are 12/24 through 1/3, but +/- a few days on either side is fine.
    • Either a beach vacation or a road trip through the mountains would be ideal. I would prefer an outdoors trip to a city trip, but right now I’m focused on finding flight availability.
    • No country is off limits (until it gets vetoed by the wife).
    • Locations with a Hyatt (for points use) are a plus, especially if it's a beach resort type location, but certainly not necessary.
    • I’d love to visit Patagonia, but I’m not sure of the flight availability. Feel free to suggest routings for me to check.
    Thanks for your help!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt has a spectacularly small footprint in LatAm and you're aiming for peak travel days to peak destinations and hoping to do so on points relatively late in the game. I'd temper your expectations.

3. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm not too worried about the Hyatt options, but it's just a bonus if that works out. Mostly I need flights. And if the trip doesn't happen, no worries, but I figure it's a good time to maximize vacation time so I might as well go somewhere.

Do you have a solid location in South/Central America that you really enjoyed that might have decent flight availability I should look into?

4. allytraveler

allytraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    You should check out Panama

5. bgriz18

bgriz18 Active Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest Guanacaste, Costa Rica and stay at the Andaz Papagayo with your Hyatt points. A really great value only 15,000 points per night. I stayed there 4 nights this March. Best part for me there was access to the free access to the Prieta Beach Club, an incredible beach.

Let me know if you have more questions

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  6. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where in Panama? Any specific recommendations there?

Just looked at some reviews of the place. Looks incredible, especially for 15k/night. Looks like availability over Christmas/New Years is pretty limited, but I'll call to see what nights are available. Thanks for the recommendation.