Cell phone users

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Apr 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was in the UC in Ord last night. Went into the area they have specifically put aside for those that want to sit quietly. There were about 4 people in that area, and as you enter it is clearly marked "quiet area" with a red line through a picture of a cell phone, and then there was the loud mouth (word deleted) blonde woman on here cell who could be heard throughout the room. If I had been in there prior to her arriving I would have said something, but since I came in after, I thought better of it,even though I could have and been in the still in the right. The lack of respect some people have towards others is disgraceful. I wish they would put all the cell phone users in one room, like when they had the smoking rooms where they could kill each other with their smoke, in the cell phone room they could each other with their voices. If they ever allow cell phones on the planes and someone is sitting next to me and speaking in a loud voice, I will just start talking to myslelf in a loud voice and see how long he or I lasts :mad:

perryplatypus and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Passive aggressive behavior is rarely the correct solution to a problem. It is usually the fun one, but that's a whole different issue. :oops:

3. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teh ones that really get my goat are the "air talkers"... You know, the guys with the earpiece yabbering away to someone while they're staring right at you.:rolleyes:
    A few years back, someone talking to "nobody" would've been taken away to a rubber room for observation.....:eek:
    Teh one thing I have observed though, is that the asshats with the earbuds usally don't have any compelling reason to be in constant communication with anyone.....:rolleyes:

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the I am important sydrome, I think these people are so insecure that this is the only way that they can get noticed. I also love the ones that have to call someone just prior to the aircraft door being closed and telling the person on the other end of the line, "I am on the plane now, and we are ready to go" Who cares.

5. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the other soulution would be just to tell the person, if you don't lower your voice and keep the conversation at a minimum level then I will throw up on you, you know air sickness. 10-9-8-7- 6-5 4- 3- 2-1 go.

perryplatypus likes this.
  6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone ever tried asking the desk staff to deal with those who ignore the sign? I don't know if they would actually do anything. But they are the ones who should deal with it, not a guest.

perryplatypus, LETTERBOY and sfo1 like this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt the staff would do anything about it, as they do not want to do anything that offends a guest. It's no different than those in a grocery store that go to the express lane with more items than they should or anyone of another things like that. I have mentioned the excess in groceries in the express lane to the cashier, they simply smile or try and ignore it, what they don't realize is that they are offending me and the others in that line. I would not ask the staff to intervene as it just makes their job so much more difficult. The offending passenger could report the staff member for being rude or for another reason just to get back at him/her, but there's not much they could do to the one complaining. I guess in the long run it's just the way the world is today, no respect for others and it's not going to get any better, we are going down the tubes and there is no stopping it.

perryplatypus and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have asked people in that exact spot in that ORD Club (and the "contemplation room" at the back of the SFO Club) to please observe the sign and end or move their call. I've done this 3 or 4 times in ORD and twice in SFO (including two days ago). In every instance, the person was either apologetic, or if not apologetic, at least they were chagrined/embarrassed. In every instance the person ended their call, or walked out of the quiet area to finish it.

In one of the two instances at SFO, it was a language issue, where I think the person could not read / speak English - the sign there is all words, not a pictogram or anything.

Anyway, you CAN just politely ask/point out to the person that the sign is clear and that the call is permissible elsewhere. The sign at ORD is visible when you walk in, but the two signs on the wall inside the room are easy to miss. People walking into that room are more interested in how it looks/whether it's crowded, and don't notice the sign they are walking past on the way in. At least, that's how it has been historically, but I haven't been in that ORD Club for a while.

redwoman, Wandering Aramean and sfo1 like this.