Cell phone plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Desidivo, Feb 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like many of you, I travel a lot internationally. In my case, it is usually to different countries most of the time. My company only pays up to $75 month for cell phone without itemizing. I can get reimbursed for more but the time it takes to itemize is not worth it.

I am using T-Mobile simple choice plan. I have $60 plan plus $10 for international calling plan. This allow free text and web when I travel and $.20/min when calling. So total is about $70+taxes. My average monthly bill is about $90.

I was wondering if others have better plans for international travelers. I would be happy to pick up a SIM card in other countries if it is cheaper and it works in multiple countries like T-Mobile.

Just wanted to get an idea of what others use for cell phone plans.

gregm and jwsky like this.
  2. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you got it better then my AT&T.

3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure where you're traveling to, but in Romania and eastern Europe I use my old BB with a SIM card from either Orange, Cosmote or Vodafone.

4. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course if you use a sim card from another country your phone has to be unlocked. That being said I use my vodafone UK number if I am in the EU. If I go to the UAE I use a sim card for there as well. I find this a lot cheaper than the .20 cents that T-mobile charges. I also use a 800 style number from Kall8 for clients and family to contact me, all numbers or on my business card. This way my UK or UAE clients do not have to make an International call to contact me in their country.

Desidivo likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked into Voip apps like MobileVOIP and Viber ?

6. Elia

Elia New Member

Status Points:
    Desidivo while traveling inside Europe I mainly use a travel sim card. It has data bundles and other roaming solutions. The one I use is a Belgian one from tellink roaming.

anileze likes this.