Cell Phone for Hong Kong & Vietnam

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by antignos, Apr 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. antignos

antignos New Member

Status Points:
    I'm traveling to Hong Kong and Vietnam in June and would like to be able to use some sort of cell phone while there. I can't afford 2 dollars per minute and I know some prepaid cell phones accept in comming calls etc. Isn't there even a way to make an out going call appear incoming?

What might my best options be? Least expensive?

Thanks

Paul

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, when overseas I usually call for free from anywhere to anywhere using Skype, but I'd have to be in my hotel room since one needs a computer and an internet connection.

Alternatively, if you have a "global" phone, you could buy a prorated global plan that will save you a bundle on roaming charges. But even with a plan, charges can add up very quickly, so while I do usually purchase a mobile global plan, I tend to restrict its use greatly, preferring to use Skype as much as possible.

Laptop Nomad likes this.
  3. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look at http://www.prepaidgsm.net. Look at the international page. In Hong Kong look at peoples or China sim card. Of course this only works if you have a unlocked GSM cell phone. Like NYCUA1K states call home on skype. I have it on my cell phone so all I need is an internet connection. I have not been to Vietnam for a few years now so I can't speak on what they have. You would be better off with a local sim card. You can send an e-mail with the number so the family back home can call you. Or better yet download skype to your home and laptop and call for free. If you need to call home on the family cell you will need skype credit. You can buy a subscription for the US for a month up to a year, and calls to landlines and cells are included. I am a big fan of skype I use it in my business every day, and when I am away from home. Remember it is where you call to not where you call from on skype.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a subscription to Skype Unlimited World, which allows unlimited calls to landlines and mobile phones from any country to another 24/7. You can pay $13.99/month or get a yearly subscription...

Laptop Nomad likes this.