Celebrity Photo Extravaganza

Discussion in 'California' started by NileGuide, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. To get in the proper celebrity spotting state of mind, I have collected below some photos from Alan Light’s fabulous and star-studded flickr page. These snapshots span decades and, for a full disclaimer, some the shots were taken in Hawaii. Thanks for indulging my poetic license to showcase these great photos! They are arranged in chronological order:
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
    [​IMG]
    Sylvester Stallone after the premiere of the movie Fist, 1979 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Steven Speilberg and Carrie Fisher after the premiere of the movie Fist, 1979 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Raquel Welch at the premiere of the movie The Rose, 1979 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Bette Midler and Peter Riegert at the premiere of the movie The Rose, 1979 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Sylvester Stallone, Alan Light’s sister and her son at the Kahala Hilton in Hawaii, 1983 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Dolly Parton, again with Alan’s sister and her son at the Kahala Hilton in Hawaii, 1983 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Ann Landers with Alan Light in Chicago, 1983 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Tom Selleck and Sharon Stone filming Magnum P.I. at the Kahala Hilton in Hawaii, 1984 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Michael Jackson and fans at the Kahala Hilton, Honolulu, Hawaii, 1988 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Jodi Foster at the Governor’s Ball after winning an Academy Award in March, 1989 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Faye Dunaway and Alan Light at the 47th Emmy Awards, 1994 [Photo by Alan Light]
    [​IMG]
    Oprah at her 50th birthday party on the grounds of the Bel Air Hotel, 2004 [Photo by Alan Light]
    Everyone knows that Los Angeles is the place to move to if you want to become a superstar and the place to visit if you want to see movie and television stars in real life. With so much of the entertainment biz infrastrucure located here, L.A. indeed is the natural place to live if you make your living in mass media and many fabulous people reside in the exclusive and quiet canyons and hillsides of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, and Malibu. These neighborhoods tend to be mostly impervious to curious outsiders, however those stars have to come out eventually for some high-end shopping and dining, right. Below are some places that have become known as good celebrity spotting destinations. The hard part, of course, is recognizing these fabulous personages when they are wearing normal clothes, minimal make-up, and are hiding in sunglasses and a hoody.
    LOS ANGELES CELEBRITY SPOTS:
    Malibu Country Mart and Lumberyard (3835 Cross Creek Road 90265) — This small shopping center in Malibu features high-end stores like Earnest Sewn, John Varvatos, Juicy Couture, and Ralph Lauren. One day while I was working hanging Christmas decorations in Juicy Couture, Helena Bonham Carter was spotted walking by. I didn’t actually see her but my spotters (the Juicy sales-ladies) are reliable sources. Before his untimely demise, Michael Jackson was seen shopping here. This place is far enough off the beaten path that it makes sense as a celebrity friendly spot. Immediately next to the Malibu Country Mart is the newer and similar Malibu Lumberyard, featuring stores like Maxfield, Andrianna Shamaris, and James Perse.
    Brentwood Country Mart (225 26th Street 90402) — Another small, high-end shopping center. The bonus at this place is the food court; it’s kinda like a smaller version of the Hollywood Farmers Market (located next to the Grove, see below) and the food is relatively affordable. Stores and boutiques here include Sweet Rose Creamery, Edelweiss Chocolates, Broken English (jewelry), James Perse, Malia Mills, Post26, and of course the Brentwood General Store. And yes, this is a celebrity hotspot. . . Laura Dern was seen here recently as well as a host of other stars.
    Brentwood Whole Foods (11737 San Vicente Blvd 90049) — It seems like a lot of celebrity spotting takes place at Starbucks franchises, Whole Foods stores and sushi restaurants. This Whole Foods increases your odds as it is small for a modern grocery store. If there is someone famous here you have a much higher chance of crossing paths with them! Some celebrities that have been seen here: Don Cheadle, Lisa Bonet, LeAnn Rimes, Jessica Biel, Reese Witherspoon. . .
    Robertson Ave Shopping District (Robertson Ave between Beverly Ave and Third Street 90048) — You guessed it, more high-end small boutiques and expensive restaurants. . . . here we are on very firm celebrity spotting ground. The Ivy restaurant (near the corner of Alden Drive and Robertson Ave) is one of THE PLACES to go if you want to get your picture taken by the paparazzi. Anybody who watches TMZ knows what I’m talking about!
    Urth Cafe (8565 Melrose Avenue 90069) — Another well-established celebrity spot. The whole phenomena has become a little absurd here. . . whenever someone enters the cafe everyone looks up from their coffee and scones to see who it is that could have possibly just entered!
    Chateau Marmont (8171 Sunset Boulevard 90046) — Oh, the exalted mischief that has occurred in these hallways. This hotel was opened in 1931 and has been a haven for superstar vice ever since. The list of stars that have hung out here spans from Errol Flyn to Marilyn Monroe to Jim Morrison to Heath Ledger and nowadays Lindsay Lohan and Scarlett Johansson. You can either rent a room (or a garden bungalow!) here or just visit the Bar Marmont for food, drinks, and the ritzy scene.
    Joan’s on 3rd (8350 W. Third Street 90048) — This gourmet marketplace, cafe, and catering company is frequented by stars of sorts including for example Moon Unit, Natalie Portman, and Jared Leto.
    The Grove (W. 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue 90036) — The Grove is a fashionable, newer style outdoor shopping center in an old-style Italian mode. Not all the stores are oo extravagant here: there is a Forever-XXI, Nordstroms, and J-Crew for example. The Barney’s New York CO-OP is a good one here too. In any event the Grove does attract stars, I remember particularly vivid descriptions of Paris Hilton entering the movie theater here in a cloud of pot smoke. The real attraction for me is the food immediately next door at the Hollywood Farmers Market with its great stalls. In particular, I recommend the Singapore Banana Leaf, Moishe’s Restaurant, Loteria, and the Pampas Grill as good places for a meal when you need a break from celebrity spotting
    [Thumbnail photo of Madonna, Tony Ward and dancer Donna Delory in 1990 by Alan Light]

Continue reading...

2. auh2o
    Original Member

auh2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. The easiest place to catch celebs and even talk to them if you want is grab a good lower level ticket to a Lakers game. There are also VIP Clubs in Staples Center where they hang out.

Wurm likes this.
  3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    This makes perfect sense - celebs attending a game at Staples are pretty much expecting to be in "see and be seen" mode (the tickets are often provided by the central talent agencies CAA. WME, UTA, etc).

To me, they would have no real expectation of any kind of privacy (other than common courtesy), unlike when they are dining or elsewhere with family members and/or friends.