CDG Layover

Discussion in 'CDG/ORY/LBG | Paris Regional Airports' started by Newscience, May 1, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am planning a flight to CDG on AA with an inter-European connection on AF later this year. So as to allow that my luggage has a good chance of being transferred (both airlines have told me that they have luggage handling agreements with each other), I plan on 8-9 hour layovers at CDG upon arrival and at departure.

Looking for suggestions as to what is possible to see in/near CDG/Paris and still make my flights, given this amount of time. Thank you! :)

uggboy and MX like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, MX - all very much appreciated! :)

And after no response on MP, I discovered a string on TOBB which also had some good information. ;)

I think that the bottom line, as you state, is that I'll have 5-6 hours to see the sights in Paris. Now if I can just find a locker to lock up my carry-on, I'll be in business! Thanks again!

uggboy and MX like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this tip, MX! :)

For the benefit of MP, the TOBB string I had read also mentioned that a taxi ride from CDG to the Eiffel Tower is about 50 Euro, and is faster than taking the train, with the exception of during weekday rush hour traffic.

uggboy and MX like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure getting directly to Eiffel Tower may be quicker by taxi.. because to get there you have to change from the RER B to the RER C....you could also change to the Metro but the metro stations are not that close to the Tower. (this assumes for the short time you will spending in the city you would want to actually go to the base tower itself) but if you are arriving TA on AA you will run into morning rush traffic and I have never gotten into the city in under 60 mins.
    The RER takes about 30 mins. to P. St Michel which is where I would head to anyway and start my visit. Notre Dame and St Chapelle are a few hundred yards away then I would turn around and walk along the Seine heading northwest past the Louvre to the Tuileries and then along the Champs Elysees towards the Arc de Triomphe.
    Alternately just north of Notre Dame (slightly to east) is IMHO Paris' most vibrant district the Marais centered by Place de Vosges. If you happen to be in the city on Sundays afternoons (when pretty much else may be closed) in particular its fun area. Lot shops, restaurants and Parisians.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! All very good and timely information - thank you @newbluesea! :)

I will be arriving at CDG on a Saturday and departing through there on a weekday, so will take your advice into planning consideration. ;)

uggboy likes this.