CDG connection - arrive with AC, leaving with OS - can I stay airside?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by r0m8470, Mar 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, we are flying to CDG, but then immediately need to connect with another flight to Vienna. The flights are on 2 separate tickets, because the inbound to CDG flight is part of an award ticket. The award ticket part is set, and we will not change that.

We plan to continue to Vienna, with Austrian Airlines. We will arrive with Air Canada. I read that Air Canada has interline agreement with Austrian, and we thought that we can check through our luggage to Vienna. Is that possible? I am trying to get confirmation from Air Canada.

Can we also stay airside in CDG and take the airside shuttle bus vs having to pick up our luggage. We will just carry 1 checked luggage, but still going out, get the luggage, bring it back in the other terminal is something that we can do without, if we could.

The AC flight will arrive in terminal 2A. The Austrian flight will leave out of terminal 2D. I read on CDG website that as long as we have a boarding pass for our next flight, we can take the airside bus.

Any experts here care to chime in?

Concerto likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thks. I did not read it fully ... now I did ..... :(. I think I have to go through passport control and pick up my luggage and re-enter security. Bummer.

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you are entering Schengen at CDG, so passport control.

ACMM likes this.
  5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are correct I believe

6. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK - so passport control, does that mean we need to pick up our luggage as well? I thought that if the luggage is checked through, we can go direct to the other terminal? Is 90 minutes enough to go from terminal 2A to terminal 2D w/o luggage? What if we have to carry luggage? Is 90 minutes enough?

7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could try and see of AC interlines OS to VIE. As to walking from 2D to 2A, I'll let someone else answer; I do know that from 2E to 2F is few minutes :)

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you can convince the AC agent to tag the bag through to VIE you'll just collect it there. That is separate from clearing immigration in CDG and changing terminals.

anileze likes this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should have no issue with AC checking your bags through on OS, as they are both *A member airlines.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    uggboy and anileze like this.
  10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two separate tickets? Hmm. If you say so.

(Poasted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

anileze likes this.
  11. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked AC through Facebook - and their answer is not very definitive - here's the excerpt:

"While we do have interline agreements for forwarding on bags, it usually applies only to flights booked on the same ticket. It is sometimes possible to have it done for flights booked on separate tickets, but you must then have your connecting flight's ticket with you when checking in for your first flight and ask the check-in agent if they are able to do this or not. 90 minutes is the minimum connecting required for connecting between flights as you have described. If you are able to book later flights allowing yourselves a longer connection time, it would be strongly recommended. Regards, Air Canada Social Media /nm"

The bold underline are my own highlights.

Usually - so I take it that there are some unusual situation?
    Sometimes - so I guess that's hit or miss?
    If they are able to do this or not - so some agents are more knowledable than others?

Anyway, I have a couple of business trips coming up. Maybe I'll just stop by the AC desk at SEA, ask an agent, and hear what they say.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Probably the same thing. The systems are technically able to do it but it depends on the agent at the time of the transaction.

How long is your planned connection in CDG? You won't get an agent willing to override the minimum connect time (MCT) to check bags through.

13. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 2 options, either take a 10am with Austrian, or a 1255pm with Air France. The AC flight is supposed to arrive at 830am Paris local time. I have not bought the ticket yet. I am trying not to stay at CDG too long.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The 90 minute connection just barley meets the MCT. That means it is tight at best and if anything goes wrong along the way you're probably screwed.

I would personally not book that with checked bags.

15. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes - even though I don't like staying at CDG that long, I think you're right. I'd rather be relaxed than trying to rush through the airport - which I have never been to. I bought the afternoon flights, so even if I need to pick up the luggage, I would have some extra time.

Wandering Aramean likes this.