CC strategy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Jul 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just wondering if there is a site that I can give them my info like where I am, where I want to go, when, who etc...and the site can tell me what credit cards/bonuses and airlines make the most sense for my specific journey?

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not aware of any website that can do this automatically but it would be interesting to see a website built for this. Of course, the nuances to how miles/points are used make this difficult to calculate but if someone wanted to build a large enough chart for this, I'm sure they could make it happen.

Your best bet is to post your info in this thread and see what help you can get from the community.

3. lotso-bear
    Original Member

lotso-bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    This will take a little work, but Gary Leff's blog gets into which alliances are best for certain travel regions (link). See the first link. The other posts are useful as well.

From there, you can see which credit cards are available.

4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you post some information here, I am sure you will get many suggestions. Some better than others.

Some of the information needed is:
    1. Cards you have / have had, in the past 2 years
    2. Where and how do you want to go (First, business, coach)
    3. What miles do you currently have
    4. Are you also interested in hotels?

5. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel that building a website to be that intuitive would be a very difficult thing to do since there are so many variable in play. I do remember a thread or two a while back with someone who was building (has built) a site like that but I didn't hear anything about it after that, so maybe it didn't work that well?

Your best bet is going to be using the people around you. Also, each award chart has "loopholes" or certain flights that are cheaper than others, so I always start by looking at milez.biz and seeing if any of them price out as super cheap for the flight (if I can't remember it off the top of my head). I found that is a good way to at least start going about it, and then of course, you can find which cards will get you points for that airline.