CC spend on cable/internet/cell phone

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Filler03, Jan 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was about to pull the trigger on the US Bank Cash Plus Visa to take advantage of the 5% cash back on the "Bill Pay" category which included wireless phone carriers (Verizon) and cable/internet companies.

I see here http://creditcardforum.com/rewards/6299-contact-us-bank-save-cash-categories-4.html and other places that this is going away. Apparently one response from CSR was that "cell phone" would be a category eligible for the 5% but that doesn't help my cable/internet need.

Could anybody direct me to some good personal cards that have category bonuses for cable/internet (and cell phone)? I am aware of the Amex Simply Cash Business and the Ink Cash Business but I wanted to stick to a personal card if possible.

Thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody have any helpful insight on this?

Kalboz likes this.
  3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, this is a tough one as I do not know of any personal cards that will satisfy this category of purchases. :oops: Good luck and let us know if you find a solution!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It used to be the Hilton AMEX but that will be removed come May. That category clearly isn't very popular, unfortunately.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not for personal cards at least. And you can only imagine why it's on the business cards. ;)

kenbo and Kalboz like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use AMEX Hilton for 6x points until some time in May. Or, to maximize the quintuple points earned on the Chase Ink Bold and Ink Plus by putting cable, internet, and cell phone bills on those cards. You will earn 5 points per dollar on telecommunications (such as cell phone, and cable TV charges)

malikguy likes this.
  7. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personal card Hilton Amex. Business card Chase Ink Bold, Plus, Classic and Cash.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. DCA Rob

DCA Rob Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the May 1st change in the Hilton AMEX, I am going to switch over to my new Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa, which is particularly good for non travel, dining, groceries, gas, and home improvement purchases as all now Carlson purchases earn 5 points per dollar.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok I must have been under a rock or something. I have Hilton Amex what is going on with the 6 points -its going away-somebody enlighten this old lady

Kalboz likes this.
  10. free67spirit

free67spirit Silver Member

Status Points:
    never mind I google-with the cost of prescription during this flu season I did well with points. Beter not get sick next year :)

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your photo shows a young lady ;)
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...-earning-for-hilton-hhonors-american-express/

free67spirit likes this.
  12. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the no annual fee Amex Hilton give 6x for cable/ cell phone too or is it just the surpass?

Kalboz likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much do you value those points? It's not the number of points earned per dollar that matters.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed ... one also has to consider that the Citi HH Reserve card will gets you top-tier Hilton Diamond status after spending $40K within a calendar year (January to December), in addition to 3 HH points per spent dollar. You get the HH Gold status when you first get this Citi card.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    No!