Cc phishing by phone!

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by estnet, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a recorded call offering low interest rates. Out of curiosity I pressed the option to get more info (and to report violation of dnc list). When I asked what company they said "cc services", as soon as I asked which cc they promptly hung up. I am VERY suspicious that this is an attempt to get you to give them your cc info. BEWARE!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately there are too many scams out there.

3. GoneFlying
    Original Member

GoneFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've received the same call by phone. Often the telephone #'s they use on CallerID don't exist and forged #'s are being sent over VoIP system. All it takes is a callerid=<any num> string on a SIP or IAX2 trunk with a VoIP carrier that doesn't validate or override the CID info.

Another scam I got on the phone a few months ago was a Mr. Kingston claiming to be from the IRS. CallerID read Kingston, as in Kingston, Jamaica. I muttered a few choice 4 letter words and promptly hung up on him.

Some Caribbean #'s, like US & Canadian #'s, use the 1+xxx-xxx-xxxx numbering system. Some of these Caribbean #'s are "premium" lines if you ever call them back (yet another scam).

As far as the DNC list violators, I've given up on it. The legit businesses tend to abide by the law while the criminals will just forge any callerID #, including #'s to innocent people / households.

Last, a tip to help prevent online phishing -- use OpenDNS instead of your ISP's DNS server. http://www.opendns.com/ will give you a quick overview. You can also filter websites / website categories at the DNS level if you run a business or have kids. Free for household use.

GoneFlying

4. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boiler room operators using predictive dialing equipment without really knowing who you are or what your financial situation is. :rolleyes: If you want to waste their time, mention you have $15k in cc debt with a high interest rate, then start to become incoherent in your conversation. They'll be salivating at the chance to make a big score, so it's surprising how long they'll stay on the line. When they finally terminate the call, they've wasted a lot of time, which will be visible in their supervisor's call management software. :eek::D

This may sound vindictive, but their deceptive practices prove them to be nothing more than vultures.

estnet likes this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if I had time to waste I'd do it ....tho I'd pick a higher amount of debt :D But my time is too valuable (at least to me) and I feel sort of sorry for the people that can only get these jobs (but NO compassion for the jerks that run these companys)

N965VJ likes this.