CC churn 9 is cards in a year too much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sharris503, Dec 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to plan/map out my CC churn for next year (yes I am an over planner). 2011 was my first attempt at applying for credit cards to earn miles/points. I applied for only 3 cards and was approved for all three. My plan for next year is to apply for 9 cards spread out over the next year and apply for 2 - 4 cards every 90-120 days. My credit rating is excellent and at the end of the year this will net me 180,000 AA miles and 350,000 hilton points, assuming I am approved for all the cards.

Is 9 cards too much or is that par for course for you more experience churners?

jbcarioca, dogwalker and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    9 cards a year is not too many cards as long as the credit inquiries are distributed among the 3 different credit bureaus.

Good luck!

jbcarioca, flamingo and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I can gather from the creditboards.com credit pull data base I will have 4 inquiries with Equifax and 5 with Experian. It appears none of the lenders I'm apply with (Citi, Amex, BofA) use Transunion in Oregon.

jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Assuming that your projection on credit pulls is correct, you should not have any real problem.

5. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps more of an anecdote than a solid answer, but I used to feel like I had a problem (especially with Citi) if I had more than 5 pulls within the last 6 months. I think your current numbers are fine...I have had well more than 4 or 5 pulls in the last year on both Experian and (especially) Equifax for quite a while now and only once did that seem to be an issue for churning (and I think I had well more than 4 or 5 in the last year at that time.

euromannn, jbcarioca and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. Up&Away

Up&Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do most people plan out their churns for the next year or do you react to where the big offers lead? So far I've been a reactor, but I can certainly see the value in being a planner.

jbcarioca, Espan and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My credit is something I protect strongly, and I react only with substantial incentives - the CapOne 100,000 + 10,000 match promotion that could immediately be redeemed for $1,800 in Hyatt certificates was my most recent. That $1,800 is more than the mortgage interest I pay in a year, so credit saves me money. If I ever need to finance a large purchase or change departments (government agencies here do pull credit reports), I want nothing that requires explanation.

8. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking into possible churns next year as well - could someone enlighten me on how to determine which bureau is used for the credit pull?

9. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    @SEABrad go to www.creditboards.com for that info. To the OP, 9 should be doable, but you will probably have to negotiate for some of them. I think I did about 6-7 this year without too big of a hassle. Obviously if you could find a TransUnion card or two out of the nine it would be helpful. Good luck and keep us posted!

10. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with finding a TransUnion card (and let us know if you do)! I think the only ones I have come across recently are Barclays (US Airways) and Penfed, and of course Capital One, who pulls all three.

Also note, that I believe which credit bureau a bank uses may depend on geography. So that's another factor to pay attention to. Here's a summary of which bureau the banks pull for me (in VA):
    • Transunion - Barclays, Penfed (2011), Capital One
    • Experian - American Express, Chase (2010 and 2011), Bank of America, Discover, US Bank, Capital One
    • Equifax - Citibank, Chase (2009 and 2011), Penfed (2008 and 2010), Capital One
    Back to the original question: I did two applications on Sunday, one of which was my 9th inquiry on Equifax in the last 12 months. Got approved for the card (Citi).

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    To show the difference in geography, I live in Southern California. EVERYONE (Citi, Capital One, AMEX, Chase) all use Experian. With only Experian being pulled, it limits my ability to apply for cards.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  12. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting because I live in Northern California and have seen the following:
    3 Amex, 2 BofA = Experian
    2 Chase personal, 5 Citibank = Equifax
    1 Chase biz, 1 Barclays = TransUnion

I thought that the credit bureaus would be the same within each state, but guess not.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Finally applied for a US Airways Barclay card and they pulled a TU credit report. Too bad they don't have more cards.

daemon14 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also have a SoCal address, and it's a pain to find a Equifax/TU card.

I applied for 7 cards this year -- 2 Chase, 2 Citi, 1 Barclay, 1 Amex, and 1 Macy's card (before I got into the churn game). ALL pulled Experian except the Barclay's.

In the past 2 years, I have 7 Experian, 2 Transunion, and 5 Equifax from when I lived in another state (but 4 will be knocked off by summer)

I'll definitely be taking it easy on apps for a bit, and try to find cards that pull the latter two.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great card! I'm a big fan of it. Also was targeted for the "spend $1,250 in Dec, Jan, Feb and get 15,000 bonus miles" which is one great promotion.

daemon14 likes this.
  16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long have you had the card and did you put any spending on the card other than the first purchase? I got the card this past September, used it once for the GS hit/dining hit, and now it's in my desk drawer (1 mi/$ in a program where I have almost 200K in does no good for me).

A bonus like that, 13mi/$, would be amazing to have, but don't know how others got targeted for it.

I admit -- it is a great card, even just to keep open. $89/yr with a 10K bonus + a club pass is great. With the 5K reduction per award, that's a transcon in Y for $178 every 2 years! Or offpeak Y to South America or Europe every 3 for $267.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You sold me on the card. Where do I sign? ;)

miles and smiles and daemon14 like this.
  18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too bad I don't have referral links! :D $$$

Make sure to get the 40K bonus on first purchase (another great reason!). No annual fee the first year and you'll still get the club pass + $99 companion certs.

19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the US card about six weeks ago. I already have 40K miles, the club pass and the companion certs. - all for a card that I have used once for a $5 purchase. I will use the card some more next month............

tondoleo and infamousdx like this.
  20. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here, except with a $4 purchase. I think with the anniversary 10k miles, I'll just end up keeping this card alive.

miles and smiles likes this.
  21. jeffrey930

jeffrey930 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just applied for the UA explorer 60k yesterday. Chase use transunion to full my credit. I live in Chicago, got the 30day review. I will recon in 2 days I hope I get approve.

miles and smiles and deant like this.
  22. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow Chase pulls TU in chi-town? that's awesome.

I also got the US Airways card just to find somebody willing to pull my TU. I just cant get anybody interested in it. My TU is lonely and needs to get out more but just hasn't found the right issuer yet.

why doens't anybody give it a shot?

23. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Jeffrey930, Welcome to MP. Here in So. Calif. all the banks, except Barclay's, pulls Experian. Like TheTravelAbstract I would love to find more cards that pull TU.

miles and smiles likes this.
  24. ocmikelaw

ocmikelaw Member

Status Points:
    I am also in SoCal and all 3 of my recent pulls are through Experian. The only card of any value I can find thru TU is the US Airways Card. Is this the right time to apply for that one? Is the offer usually better or is this as good as it gets?

25. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think it is as good a time as any to apply for the US Airways card. Have heard that you can do a churn on that card.

traveler and miles and smiles like this.