CBC News Article: AC denies seat to N.S. man with peanut allergy

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Cage, May 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2011/05/10/ns-peanut-allergy-air-canada.html

Executive Summary:
    - Teenager looking to travel to Fiji for 2 weeks.
    - Parents book through RBC Travel Rewards travel agent
    - Parents do not advise AC of the allergy to peanuts at time of booking or immediately after.
    - Everyone gets to ticket counter and they advise AC agent about sons allergy.
    - AC Agent advises pax that they are now unfit to fly unless cleared by Air Canada Medical. A process that takes at least 48 hours.
    - Pax is denied boarding (actually denied checkin).
    - Pax ends up flying AA through JFK instead.

Parents blame AC for the whole mess and want their ticket refund.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is he not taking a huge risk flying at all with a severe allergy? :confused:

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would seem risky for him to travel by himself, although I guess his parents could administer the injection if he had a reaction. Nevertheless, Fiji is a very long flight, much of it over water where there's no airport with a hospital to divert to, and the medical care available in Fiji might not meet normal North American standards.

The planned trip seems very different from normal domestic travel to a city with good medical care. To say he shouldn't fly at all strikes me as too restrictive and limiting of his life experiences.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’m thinking the limited quarters of an aircraft and the recycling of air would be very dangerous to a severe allergic.
    Even if an announcement was made to ban peanuts prior to his flight, someone could have been eating peanuts in his seat from a previous flight that day, leaving peanut residue and dust.

milchap likes this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why on earth would the parents not inform the airline at time of booking? It is a case of declared severe allergy.

LETTERBOY, FetePerfection and Cage like this.
  6. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only I knew what an N.S. man was, this entire thread might make sense....

dildooba44 likes this.
  7. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry about that. N.S. is the acronym for Province of Nova Scotia. The pax was based in YHZ (Halifax).

Miloki, now that your up to speed on the local lingo, I nhigh recommend YHZ as a vacationm destination, especially in the fall. Beautiful scenery, laid back relaxed atmosphere.

8. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    Parents booked over the phone through travel agent. Travel Agent did not inform them of the necessity to contact AC reservations to advise of the pax medical condition. Pax assumed that TA would take care of everything and never bothered to look for independant information.

9. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to go to Halifax. I've never even been to Canada.

10. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems to me parents have their share of responsibility to confirm with everyone the safety of their son, especially if his allergy is as severe as they say. Assumptions are worthless.

KENNECTED, sobore and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I think it's worth mentioning this point that IMHO any kind of reward/award order taker is not the same thing as a full fledged TA, though I have an obvious bias on the subject. They are there obstensibly to facilitate the reward/award process, not take the place completely of a TA who likely would've caught this and prevented the matter from happening.

IMHO the family should've taken the extra time and followed-up with AC with so severe an allergy however hindsight as always is 20-20.

Concerto and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know what they say about assumptions... they make an a** out of you and me!! :D

All joking aside, I feel the parents of this young man were ultimately responsible for making sure that Air Canada knew about the peanut allergy 48 hours prior to departure. The rules are clearly stated (and surely the parents knew this since he had flown quite a bit previously...) so an "oh, by the way" just doesn't cut it.

milchap and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a life-threatening allergy and the kid needs to have a peanut-free zone around him, for sure the parents need to take responsibility and check ahead of time that this is possible.

milchap, LETTERBOY and sobore like this.
  14. As Air Canada doesn't fly to Fiji, how much of this would have been on AC metal anyway? To Toronto? LA?

why fly likes this.
  15. sounds like much to do about nothing.... :confused: put the kid in a bubble and leave him at home.:p probably parents trying to get good seats glad it backfired on them.

East_Yorker likes this.