CAUTIOUS SCREENING OR EXTREME PARANOIA

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Eloy Fonseca Neto, Mar 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm always in favor to the security and safety of every humam being, and I know there is evil people that uses of some "covers" time to time to achieve their evil goal. But this! This is just too much! I hope TSA can make an effort to be less invasive than this when it comes to children!

2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I watched a lady in the wheelchair getting frisked yesterday in Denver. That's right after they forgot that she was supposed to be screened and left her hanging by the checkpoint for a few minutes before asking "Is anyone taking care of you?".

3. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Disgusting!

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went through in a wheelchair once after getting knee surgery with a flexible metal leg brace and was actually surprised at how relaxed they were about the whole process. I was even allowed to bring a water cooler pump similar to below WITH frozen water bottles in the cooler bit with a doctor's note. This was summer 2008 (I was in my early 20s) that I did this. They weren't nearly as thorough/invasive as they were in this video.

[​IMG]

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Disclaimer: I haven't watched the video, only because the TSA, just in general, makes my blood boil.

But, I do feel there's SOME need to make sure there isn't anything funny going on. Swab the kid for explosives and let
    him go is all I'll say about that.

It's a classic NIMBY thing; people say they want more jails, okay, let's build one a few blocks from you....hey, wait a minute. Same thing with security, when a microphone is shoved into someone's face, people will say "anything to keep me and my family safe." But when they see their grandparents, kids and/or themselves felt up in sensitive areas, most of those thoughts will go aside and eventually go against the TSA.

But, to address the OP, the TSA has always been about paranoia, mainly in their SOP and their feeling. They have an unwritten mandate to keep everyone scared to keep their existence alive and justify bloated budgets. Once Congress and the American public realize there is NO way to keep everyone 100% safe, then the vise grip on the genitals of the traveling public, literally and figuratively, will be loosened.

The general public is starting to get what frequent fliers have been saying for awhile.

USAF_Pride and Casey Friday like this.
  6. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:

To go along with your NIMBY theme of more jails, security, cops etc etc ....lets not forget paying for it. Add a buck or so tax on a plane ticket to pay for security or airport improvements and people raise hell about "outrageous" airline costs. People seem to want want want, but don't think they should have to pay for anything. (This goes for many things in life these days).

Off my soap box now

7. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    The TSA are constant proof that Al Qaeda got what they wanted on 9-11.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  8. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm the exception. In the last ten years or so, I've never had a bad experience with the TSA (or a FA or GA from an airlines for that matter). They have always been, at worst professional and downright friendly at best. Maybe its because i follow the rules. I may think some of them are asinine, but pitching a fit with Joe the TSA agent in the security line will NOT help the situation. He doesn't make the rules, and is just doing his job so he can feed his family, pay bills etc etc. Plus I also don't go through life angry all the time like some folks. Being mad all the time while looking for more things to be outraged over is no way to live.

9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, yes! That's it! And the rest of the people are just unruly rule breakers. That kid especially. Seriously?

10. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Have to agree. I fly as much as the next person here on Milepoint and in the last ten years have had little or no reason to conflict with the TSA. Granted, there have been two or three times when I might snicker or want to question "have you never seen an iPad before" as they want to re-screen just that device, but i get along to my flight and that's my intended purpose. All the other stuff, I just tune out. Sorry for the little guy. The agent might have made it more of a game for him to be fun but that's always a judgement call. The wheelchair didn't look like the typical ones at airports (or the ones I most often see and there did not appear to be an agent assisting) and perhaps it was a carry along and as such it attracted more attention. Anyway, again feel sorry for the little guy.

11. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, yes! That's it! And the rest of the people are just unruly rule breakers. That kid especially. Seriously?

12. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy to see the multiple posting hit the big guy and not just me!! I feel important now!!