Cathay to Launch Premium Economy Class

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by sobore, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203430404577093831789034756.html

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. plans to launch new long-haul economy class cabins, the blue-chip carrier said Monday, as it seeks to make its lower-end product more attractive at a time when many passengers are looking to travel cheaply amid the economic downturn.

Chief Executive John Slosar told a luncheon that the Hong Kong-based carrier would begin offering the new economy cabins on its Boeing 777-300 extended range aircraft and Airbus 330 aircraft from March. Economy seats on older long-haul aircraft, such as the Boeing 747 and Airbus A340, won't be replaced.

The launch of the new economy cabins follows the carrier's decision to spend one billion Hong Kong dollars (US$128.5 million) to revamp its long-haul business class cabins, as well as plans to launch premium economy cabins on long-haul flights from the second quarter of next year.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    that seems consistent with the airlines that i have flown with Y+...i am not sure why any airline would market any other way.

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily "market" as such, but "provide and get a reputation for".

There are some premium economy cabins which are (and are known to be) as much J- as Y+. QF is one example which I have some familiarity with, or at least it was when it was launched.

Even CX was earlier flirting with a premium economy which could be something that some might trade down from business for. That part of the mood music seems to have been abandoned, hence my observation about the current approach.

5. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    funny, in all i read on CX's Y+ and it was really just the same story over and over again with nothing even remotely official...even now, mostly speculation...had no sense of whether it would be Y+ versus J-....given they really upped the game with their J, one could speculate the Y+ would not be J-...sort of sounds a lot like the Avios changes pre nov 16 being nothing but speculation..;)

never been on QF's Y+ (heard many great things about it)...just CZ (way better than Y but crap), UA (not bad if on 747s), BA (OK but you can not MFU but certainly no where near J-) and JAL...sure if you fly BA Y+ you might find QF Y+ to be J-, that is certainly the case if you compared JAL Y+ to BA Y+...JAL is certainly J- compared to it...but when I compare JAL J to JAL Y+, Y+ is not J-. not flown QF J so no idea how the J compares to the Y+.

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    SCMP, 9 May 2011:-
    The article has been partially quoted in many other places, but this was the easiest place to get the full text.
    But UA has no premium economy product, only extra pitch seats.
    BA is perhaps the archetypal Y+, as it's now one of the oldest premium economy cabins flying. You can MFU into it.
    Even those who fly QF J routinely describe QF's premium economy as more like J- than Y+, although there have been some subtle cutbacks more recently.

sobore likes this.