Cathay Pacific to Launch Daily 16-Hour Flight From New York to Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by sobore, Feb 6, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2014/02/cathay-pacific-airways-adds-long-distance-flights

Cathay Pacific Airways has announced it will add some ultra-long distance flights from the U.S. to Asia, making up some of the ground lost with Singapore Air’s suspension of service on the world’s longest route: New York to Singapore nonstop. While nothing in the air will quite approach that nearly 19-hour slog, which ended last fall, next month Cathay will launch a daily Newark to Hong Kong nonstop flight that clocks in at 16 hours aloft. That’s in addition to four flights out of JFK, and frequencies out of L.A. too.

“We are now the fastest way to get to southeast Asia [from the United States],” said Tom Owen, Senior VP Americas of Cathay Pacific Airways. He added that the airline can offer quick connections from its Hong Kong base, including new nonstops to Yangon, Siem Reap, Da Nang, and the Maldives.

He admitted that Cathay is going against the tide as other airlines are cutting back on these marathon runs. The latest casualty: Malaysia Airlines is canceling its four-times-weekly service from L.A. to Kuala Lumpur (via Tokyo) in April because of high costs.

Read More: http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2014/02/cathay-pacific-airways-adds-long-distance-flights

lsed and Newscience like this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hook, line and sinker; this is just mindless regurgitation by the magazine of current PR hype that's being put out by CX now that the first flight date is approaching.

The actual announcement of the route was on 13 August 2013.

LETTERBOY and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but when the goal is to start as many threads as possible the actual content doesn't seem to matter as much.

Globaliser and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It’s quite sad when a member feels the need to disrespect another member and make acquisitions.
    Shameful on a nice site like Milepoint that the bully needs to unleash his negative comments.
    I can’t imagine going through life with such a large chip on my shoulder.

5. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    So previously HKG - JFK had a stop inbetween?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

What chip? I don't think that the lack of context and randomly posting tons of headlines adds much value to the community here. I've made that clear many times. Sorry if you think I'm disrespecting you but I promise that it has nothing to do with who is doing the posting like that; it is definitely not personal. When most of the content is a random headline, posted without context nor commentary I think that's not so useful for building informative and valuable dialog. When the posts are out of date (like this one) or misleading (like a recent post about a gogo court ruling) that's bad, too.

There are 3x daily non-stop on JFK-HKG and 1x with a stop in YVR. The new route is EWR-HKG and, as noted in post 2, was announced some time ago.