Cathay First Award Seats???

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

Traveled Cathay First a year ago and it was superb. Not only was it a great trip, but it could not have been easier to book - First available on almost each flight from NYC.

Planning another trip where we want to use Cathay for November, 2014 and it seems there is NO availability for First anytime at all. What the heck happened? Is this the new normal. Truth be told, we checked out the new Cathay Business Class and it looked wonderful but we have the miles and would love a return to CX F. Any idea when, if ever, these seats open up?

Thanks.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of demand for CX F lately.. your best chance of getting CX F is 10 days from the date of departure since CX releases more award space then. I can't imagine availability getting better when people with a ton of US Air miles transfers them to their AA account...

NYBanker and eponymous_coward like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    CX is pulling 747s for 777s on a lot of routes, from 9F to 6F. Less seats, more miles chasing seats naturally means less award availability. (Yes, I know NYC has been using 777s for a while. Still doesn't change that less F seats means less F awards.)

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    CX 747s finish service before November 2014.

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    getting 2 seats out of JFK is close to impossible unfortunately. try routing via ORD,it has decent availability.good luck!

newbluesea and Kalboz like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I just booked a couple of seats for CX F, this was looking for my own travel and far off into the future. I was mulling over a 5 day period and there was only 1 day where 1 flight ex-JFK had 2 F award seats. The 9am departure is the easiest one to get (which is probably why I have it booked for myself three times over the coming year, hah).

On the other hand 4 out of 5 days had 2 F award seats LAX-HKG. Perhaps that's because mid-year CX adds a 4th Los Angeles flight.

7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    If a little flexible, I find pretty good availability for F from the West Coast and ORD, looking for 1 seat. The new Biz seats aren't bad, but F is the way to go.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a good amount of availability from LAX.

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. Not willing to leave from anywhere but NYC since HKG is only the first stop with the final destination being Australia. Gary - you did not mention how far out the tickets you snagged were for.

At this point, I'll keep checking but my sense is that I'll ticket the Business Class and just keep my eyes open to be able to reticket in First. Thanks again to all.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nearly 11 months actually

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    And even better from SFO. I have redeemed CX awards a number of times but usually start checking about a year out on asiamiles.com ( even before one is able to make the booking using AA miles)
    In any event from my perspective flying from SFO Is far more preferable than from the East Coast especially since the CX no longer flies F from YYZ.

12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    First world problems, Steven. ;)

13. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So true. The Cathay Business Class tickets from NY to SYD go for over $14,000. If someone told me ten years ago that I'd have to "settle" for that, I would have laughed. Heck, I'm laughing now!

14. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are people finding the same issues with CX F space? I can't find anything more than 1 F seat (I'd like to leave from ORD but I checked LAX, New York,and SFO also). Is CX releasing more F space as it gets closer to the departure? I would book me in B and my wife in F if there is hope of latter moving to F.

15. windchaser777

windchaser777 Member

Status Points:
    The biggest issue with CX F space is that they've retired the 747, so the number of F seats on the 777 is now 6 and (believe it or not) there are people who are willing to pay for them. Another thing that American FF's have been finding is that CX is releasing less F (and possibly J) award space to the American airlines and keeping more for Asia Miles/Marco Polo members. Best thing is to book as far in advance as possible. I'm a AM member and as soon as the flight I want is releasing award space, about a year in advance for us, I book it.

16. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would anyone find this hard to believe? Just look at the market that CX operates in.

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or even ignore that and just consider the continued investment in the product.

18. windchaser777

windchaser777 Member

Status Points:
    I added the believe it or not, because sometimes it seems as though people get angry when there aren't F or J award seat redemptions available. That they can't seem to grasp that there are actually others of us who do pay for the privilege of flying up the pointy end of the aircraft.