Catering Changes: New United Coffee and some Arrival Snack Baskets Discontiuned.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by VVanderlust, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got off a United/United transcon (not ps) in F. They served a new cofffee called Freshbrew which the FA told me was 100% Arabica Beans. Liked Starbucks better.

Also the arrival snack basket didn't appear. FA said they are being removed from flights that are 1600+ miles where lunch or dinner is served. Still get them on Breakfast flights.

Anyone else tried the new coffee?

RichardInSF likes this.
  2. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean Fresh Brew from the Fresh Brew Group? (Or were the bags labeled Freshbrew?) That company provides private label coffee (I know Continental does or did purchase from them) and vending machines and a variety of related services. I would imagine it is far less expensive than Starbucks.

RichardInSF likes this.
  3. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO's coffee tastes like dirt (or what I imagine dirt to taste like). I'm not a big fan of Starbucks, but at least it's better than what CO serves on board.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts coffee on board as that would mean that goalie-dad would always be flying with me as when he was VP of R&D at Dunks back in the mid-70's, he developed the coffee flavor that they have now (and he also invented Munchkins <feh on "donut holes" ;)> but I digress as that would be way to much to ask for ;))

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew UA on 6/25-26 and noticed the coffee was significantly better but didn't think to ask what it was. It could have been they just didn't water it down as much.

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't drink Coffee but reading the Hemispheres Magazine, it's touted as an new fresh blend of Coffee that wasn't around before...so I can safely assume it's not the CO dirt anyone is accustomed to.

mht_flyer and Scottrick like this.
  7. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, but I didn't see the bag that it was in. The FA told me about it when she brought it saying it was the "new" coffee and not starbucks anymore.

8. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boo on the lack of snack baskets. 6.5 hour East to West tcons with just dinner and nothing in the last 4 hours is just weak.

I see we're in a race to see when we can reach parity with US Airways :eek:

sunseeker likes this.
  9. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems people actually enjoyed the coffee this week on my breakfast flights, which was rare normally I see 'bitter coffee face' from drinking the coffee.

I didn't drink any as I was accustomed to it being horrible, but I will say it actually smelled like coffee now while brewing.

10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    "I think you're going to like the changes." I am still waiting for one I like. Eliminating the snack basket is another parrt of the race to the bottom. The F choice on the last CO meal service flight I was on was chicken or lasagna. It's the old economy class choice!

I guess the next step is to eliminate meals in F entirely. How long will it be before they start nibbling away at the meal service (defining a lunch flight as one that departs between 12:00pm and 12:02, for example)?

chitownflyer and sunseeker like this.
  11. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    And this will be touted as an enhancement.:rolleyes:

RichardInSF and Renard like this.
  12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    And why shouldn't it be the old coach selection? After all just about everyone in domestic F these days only bought a coach ticket. Recognize the economics of the airline business today and you'll be better able to rationalize the changes that we're seeing. Just be thankful you're not sitting in the back, particularly on those non-E+ CO metal flights!

davidavid237 and mht_flyer like this.
  13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder who the supplier is? IIRC Starbucks private labels CostCo's coffee beans.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Up here in the Great White North, our equivalent to Dunkin Donuts, Tim Horton's, was asked by both AC and CP (when it was around) if they could carry their coffee onboard, but Tim's nixed the idea. Seems that to taste perfect, and like the brew millions of Canadians enjoyed daily, the coffee must be made with water of a certain high temperature which is not possible to generate at aircraft heights. A less fussy Second Cup got the contract (though that may also be because it was owned by the same holding company that does inflight catering up here, Cara Foods).

15. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder who the supplier is? IIRC Starbucks private labels a very nice blend for CostCo's coffee beans.

16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    A race with who?

And if you sit down with pen and paper, make two columns and compare the US program with UA, you will quickly find out that your comment about getting close to parity is completely absurd.

If anyone else is offended by the loss of these snack baskets, please, go ahead and change your airline loyalty.

Really, go do it.

Having read many complaint posts from you both here and on FT, it blows my mind that you're still with UA/CO.

17. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    BB to 070111 019.jpg BB to 070111 021.jpg

When this is all you get on a 6.5 hour westbound transcon (BOS/SFO) - unless they make this meal service better in quantity and quality, the elimination of the snack basket is really pathetic - as pathetic as that meal was - not even three ounces of protein. I hadn't flown on a dinner transcon in ages and it was so sad. I'd have bought/brought food had I known. Even with the much smaller cookie, the meal had a calorie count that would have made Jenny Craig proud.

18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The joy of living in a one-airline hub city; i.e., close to monopoly! At least it's not a fortress hub (yet) so sometimes I can find someone else. Starting from 2010, when NC space became hard to find, I've used another carrier for about half my international travel, which is my most lucrative (to the carrier) type of ticket since it's invariably Z.

19. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping this foreshadows the adoption of CO's transcon catering, which (unlike UA) consists of a more substantial meal than the standard domestic service.

rggale likes this.
  20. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, it really boils down to convenience. You can fly another airline for domestic routes.

Thus, it boils down to whether the loss of a banana or Cliff Bar outweighs the inconvenience of making a connection.

21. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you willing to pay more in airfare for that bag of potato crisps or Cliff Bar?

22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. I already paid an A fare, which should have had an ample meal provided. The F cabin had only a few seats available when the UDU period started.

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll cut to the chase on my point. In order to have $300-$400 transcon roundtrip tickets, especially in light of fuel costs jumping up again, they're going to have to cut things somewhere.

That means, unless you want to pay more for your tickets, A, F, S, Y.....whatever class, things like bags of potato crisps and fart sponges pillows are going to be taken out.

24. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They shouldn't have $300-400 transcon tickets. Further, they shouldn't ghettoize the premium cabin just because they are losing money in the clase basura.

25. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's the way it is; if you don't like it, there are other airlines you can fly.