Casual Observations - aka European Airlines Do It Better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by FetePerfection, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just some casual observations these past few days flying Delta to CDG then Air France and KLM within Europe. None of my observations are earth-shattering but I don't understand why Delta has all but eliminated the little amenities still offered on AF and KLM like a hand sanitizer, sandwich, two snacks and beverage service at two different times, cookies, soft drinks, juices, water and coffee along with alcoholic beverages. Not to mention the employees seemed genuinely happy to see their passengers/customers. This isn't a lets-bash-Delta thread but my flights all were much more pleasant than in the US.
    Don't get me started on Customs and Immigration and TSA in the US!!! Seriously...don't!!! That is another topic - but again, all around a much more pleasant AND dignified experience in Europe than the US. Makes me ashamed to see how our government treats it's visitors, let alone it's own citizens. Okay, off soap box.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FetePerfection,

O.K., were you flying coach, business, or first class? It's easy to assume that you are describing your coach class experience.

This might not be useful to you, if you are only a frequent flyer with Delta Airlines and it's partners, but here's my experience:

When in Europe, and travelling to/through Europe from the East Coast for work, I try to book my travel (it's in coach class 95% of the time) with Lufthansa Airlines. I enjoy the Lufthansa trans-Atlantic coach class experience versus that on United Airlines (I've only flown Delta once on this route, and that was 5 years ago).

LH provides free alcoholic drinks, an individual seat movie screen, choice of meals, and unlimited drinks and snacks in the back of the plane during the long trans-Atlantic flight.

That's a big difference from my UA "coach experience", where all alcoholic drinks are $7 each (I did try to get a freebie last time after we sat on the tarmac in the US for +90 minutes, it was a waste of time), I've been charged extra for those "premium movies" (credit card slider located in the in-seat screen), and the meal choice often consists of no choice at all, and the cabin crew pull a disappearing act that David Copperfield would be proud of!

BTW, when I did fly Delta back home from CDG a while ago, I had a seat wouldn't move back, and a movie screen that didn't work. The purser passed by me, and said: "you don't look comfortable in that seat, would you like an after-dinner brandy?". We then struck up an extended conversation, and traded great places to eat in our respective cities. It didn't fix the seat problem, but, you know what, air crew attitude can make a big difference in the flight experience (and the same is true for passengers). :)

Newscience

3. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed passenger attitude is huge for pretty much everything. Yes, coach on SkyTeam partners which is precisely my point. Out of these three DL seems the lowest and stingiest on all counts. Why not step up to the plate and at least match their partners in experiences? Except I already know the answer. I've never flown Lufthansa so may have to switch my alliance. Thanks for your perspective.