Cashier Dialogue

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by m_tschanz, Feb 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious to get people's perspective on how much they dialogue (regarding miles and points) with the C store or W store employees? At one location a W store employee in particular loves to talk about card usage, strategy and recently mentioned a fellow "customer" they does $50k/ month. While all I do is on the up and up I tend to like these interactions to be more "transactional" in nature. Am I alone?

2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope I'm the only one who doesn't know what stores are referenced. :eek:

3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Somebody is doing $50k a month? That sounds like money laundering to me. I can't imagine how a M&P enthusiast would get away with that for very long. What do you do with $50k in Vanilla Reloads? Bluebirds for some crazy "extended family"?

Anyway, no, generally they don't talk about the transaction at all. If we talk about anything its the weather or the other item I purchased that they like (I rarely go to CVS or WM just for a VR) or whatever. If the talk about the transaction its generally a bad sign, e.g. we don't take credit for these anymore--too many people using them for money laundering/online gambling/fraud, something.

gregm likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love it.

5. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only small talk I have had is when I go to a different CVS than usual and a cashier may mention that she had another customer that buys a lot and asks me if it a points thing. I usually just say yes and proceed this the transaction. It does make me wonder who the other M/P enthusiasts there are her in little Springfield, IL.

At my regular store literally no words are needed, I hand them VRs, they put 500 on each, scan the ID I already put on the counter, enter numbers and out. The only word exchanged are usually "Thank you." Haha

6. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    One Cashier at my local CVS said She would like to work for Me as i frequently visit and purchase Beans and probably thinks i have a buisness.:eek:

Gargoyle and WilliamQ like this.
  7. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't have any insight into this gentleman's 50,000 ink transactions

8. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    Oops hit too fast ...

Don't have any insight into this churners activity other than to know 50k per month on ink. My last dialogue w/ WM employee had him telling me that his favorite card was a particular Barclays variety.

As some have outlined on other boards 50k/ month is possible but would take quite a bit of effort (depending on level of non MS spend) and likely multiple BBs et al

9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Cashier at my local CVS said pretty much the same thing. She then mentioned a pair of customers who own a number of properties, and buy a load of Vanillas each month to pay their mortgage. Another time she mentioned that another cashier (and btw, those two are my favorite cashiers) had turned down a Vanilla customer the day before. Something about that customer just didn't seem right to him, so when the customer started raising a stink he called over the manager who backed him up. They felt strongly that some sort of fraud was going on. Customer went ballistic and (the customer) threatened to call the police. After telling me the story the cashier said they have no problems with me buying the Vanillas, they see me regularly and know I'm ok.

gconnery and ariosto like this.
  10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I think familiarity on stuff like this is good. My local 7-Eleven that I visit every day will allow me to buy VGCs with credit, while others that have never seen me before often won't. Could just be the stores, but I suspect the familiarity is a good thing here. Honestly I don't think the familiarity really tells them anything at all, but happy they interpret it the way they do.

11. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know them, they know me. We have a friendly chat about whatever happens to be going on that day and then I go on my merry way. My CVS cashiers are quite nice.

Mike

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Funny thing is, I used to go to Walgreens all the time and ignore the CVS across the street. Now I prefer going to CVS. :p

13. m_tschanz

m_tschanz Active Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle -- completely agree my biz shift away from WAG

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the less you tell the cashier the better off you are.
    Keep your purchases down, and for me take the used GC with you when you leave, left it on the counter once, not a good idea..

I an under the impression even a fish would not felt caught if it keep it's mouth shut! why attract attention.

In business, we try never to flash, might be called a drug dealer,
    Nice Rolex, just say The Lord has been good to you,
    Preachers seem to have little trouble with the flash...
    Business owners it is a no no...