Cash Back Sites

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I am a fairly newly minted SPG Plat, and have a lot (for me) of stays upcoming. Several are prepaid rates, but several others I booked online or had the Plat concierge do for me. It's just come to my attention that I could have booked through Upromise and gotten 2 to 3% cash back.
    Do you use these cashback sites to book SPG stays?
    Does it affect your SPG points earning or anything to do with the stay?
    Is there any reason I wouldn't want to book through one of the cashback sites?
    Does the cashback credit at checkout?
    If I see the same rate as I alreadyy have booked, should I rebook the stay and cancel my existing reservation?
    Do you get anything back on C & P reservations?

2. Astrophy
    Original Member

Astrophy Silver Member

Status Points:
    These sites usually let you keep your nights/stays and points. The hard part is usually the sites will not post the points well after your hotel stay.

3. Biu
    Original Member

Biu Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to use the cashback sites, but realized that many of the Starwoods properties take a really long time (months) to actually post the cashback. It sometimes even involved a bit of a back and forth. The problem was not on the part of the cashback sites, but it was often the SPG properties that refused to post the stay. This got so egregious that Fatwallet ended up pulling out from the SPG program (b/c I think the way it works is that SPG has to pay the cashback sites a certain percentage for the referrals, which the cashback sites partially pass on to their customers like you and me). I gave up after a while as it was just not enough to justify the hassle, but if you're staying a lot, that might be a different story. If you do go about it, I would suggest taking detailed notes of your $ amount and your dates of stay so you can be prepared to submit documentation in case the cashback sites asks for it from you to submit to the SPG vendor. Also, this site is good for checking where you can get the most cashback. Good luck!

4. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use ev'reward as well as CashReporter (and there are a few others, but those two seem to be more consistently accurate).

Biu likes this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most of the SPG brands (Westin, Sheraton, LM, Aloft, and Four Points) pay out to any cashback sites, but only for certain rate types.

So corporate and AAA rates are excluded. It's not clear whether Senior rates are excluded, but I would guess that they are not commissionable, either.

6. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the UK, Quidco pays 7% to 10% on IHG group stays - again, well after the stay has occurred, but much better than nothing, and as bookings are made on the HolidayInn site, all rates are applicable.

7. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to use Cashbaq before they closed shop. It was hard to get $$ back. They have excuses and took months to credit. Cash back sites won't affect your SPG earning. It's not really worth it, but then, it's just another click. Now I use Mr Rebate. We'll see if it gets easier.

8. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Mr. Rebates (mrrebates.com) for 3% cash back on SPG properties. Cash back can be very, very slow (read 3 or 4 months) to post to my account, but hey its found money!

9. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also a QuidCo user. Also cashback on some airlines, as well as the usual suspect consolidators too.

And it all adds up in the end...