Cars at San Juan SJU Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no EE or Emerald aisle, cars are pre-assigned.

Upon arrival, the shuttle will drop you at your assigned car, where most of the time, an agent with the paperwork will be waiting.

I had rented a midsize & was given a Mitsubishi Lancer which supposedly only had a bit over 2,000 miles, the way this piece of junk drove, I'm thinking the odometer was at 102,000 and I just missed the 1 !!:eek::D
    But seeing how PR drivers are some of the worst I've experienced, I'm glad I had a beater. Just make sure you do a complete inspection of the vehicle before you leave & note EACH dent/scratch/windshield chip.

viguera, Quasiconvexity and Kalboz like this.
  2. Albert C. Rollins

Albert C. Rollins Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are so true on this last statement. Specially if you come at night, there is no one inspect and signed off on the slip. Long ago I made the error of not checking out the car when I arrived, my flight was delayed, arrived around 1am, car was waiting and I just drove straight to my destination just a 5 minute drive, park car inside my garage. Following morning I noticed the car was missing the passenger side rear hubcap. I called National to complaint on it and have it noted on record. A month letter I get a charge on my cc for $90+++, they charged me for a complete set of hubcaps. after some emails, and phone calls. I personally bought one from ebay for $12, got my reversed on the CC.

On a separate note, I strongly suggest calling National once you are walking out of SJU airport, or retrieving your luggage, 787 791 1805. to minimize your shuttle wait time. While they have more than 8 buses, they only run 2 at a time.

viguera and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. heatherj

heatherj Member

Status Points:
    The worst rental I have ever had with National has been at SJU. Reserved a mid-size, and like Sweet Willie was given a beat up Mitsubishi Lancer. It was like a clown car. It drove awful, but actually after driving around PR, I was also glad I didn't have anything bigger or nicer.

This was the one and only time I complained to our corporate National account manager. The service and cars were just pathetic.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Albert C. Rollins

Albert C. Rollins Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know the feeling, been renting from national SJU almost every other month for the past 5 years, and I can certainly say that their selection has really gone downhill. I used to be able to get a Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry. Now is more like a Yaris, or Lancer. No Impalas, Malibu or similar type cars. In my opinion, with the high price of gas in PR and tight parking places, it is best to have those type of vehicles, yaris, lancer, corolla. If you certainly want a Larger car, I suggest renting a midsize or larger type vehicle. I usually rent a compact or economy, and 90% of the time I end up with a midsize, or larger. If I don't like the car that has been assigned I ask if there is something better and most of the time I get it without any extra fees. However, unlike most stateside National locations, what they call midsize, large cars, are what other locations will consider economy, compact.

One thing I've noticed lately is that now they are pushing the prepaid toll, I think it is something like $10 or so for the rental period. I'm not sure how it works, if the $10 covers all of your tolls, or if there is still extra fees on it. My advise to other renters, if you ARE NOT traveling around the Island and just staying in the local metro area, DO NOT GET IT, as there are no tolls to pay. However if you are certainly traveling, definitely get it as it will save you time and maybe money. Puerto Rico tollways have changed now in that they no longer give change or some do not accept cash. They have a separate line called R, R-, R+ where you give them $1.00 and the change is given back to you as a prepaid toll card to use latter. Trust me, it is a stupid method and basically they are forcing the locals to buy and use a prepaid card to mount on the car.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  5. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do Not use National at SJU terrible car and service.

druiddation and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Albert, I'm very comfortable driving in PR, and will take the BEAUTIFUL PR-187 route along the north shore to get to the St Regis as well as Rio Grande/El Yunque & Fajardo.
    Therefore I won't need a toll pass as it is PR-66 which is the toll road. Correct?