Cars at Chicago O'Hare ORD Illinois

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by Sweet Willie, Dec 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While some folks talk about lack of choice during the week, I normally start my rentals on Fri or Sat.
    As a result I've been thrilled with the choices at the EE aisle.

I've been able to rent a mid size & get most any car I've needed (pickup, SUV, convertible, luxury, premium). There have also been a number of VWs (Beetles, Passats) popping up but I've notice that they do not have IL plates so clearly they have been dropped from other locations.

2. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the exact opposite experience with selection on a Friday rental. Mostly Impala's and Camry's. Had to ask for a mid size SUV to be brought out and the result was a Dodge SUV (I believe). Staff was not overly helpful, but I was happy that I was not stuck with an Impala or Camry :)

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    recent ORD rentals where I had a midsized car reserved, I drove away with:

Toyota Avalon
    Toyota Sequoia
    VW Passat
    Chevy Silverado
    Chrysler Sebring convertible

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    mid size reserved, drove away with a nearly brand new Chevy Suburban seeing as I had many folks to drive around.
    Nice ride !

Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had slim pickings at ORD though to be fair I've only been there twice in the last year or so; one of those times was a weekend. I often see more desirable (to me) cars in the regular Emerald Isle. In fact, I'd estimate that close to half the times I choose from there instead after dismissing the stuff in EE.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had good luck at ORD, usually arriving on Sunday or Friday. I have made some bad choices, but that was me.
    Recent ones:
    Chrysler 300
    Suburban brand new
    Hyundai Genesis
    Loaded Taurus

Sweet Willie and sobore like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    that is strange as every weekend I can recall where I've rented from ORD (plenty each year), weekends are where I've found the greatest choice.

Had a rental this past week (weekday), picked a fully loaded Ford Flex as I was shuttling family around. Worked quite well, I was very pleased with the ride.

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    data point: Wed night arrival.
    EI had very limited pickings, a LOT of minivans, some mediocre SUVs like Jeep Patriot, Toyota Rav4, a few Toyota Camrys. No Mailibus/Impalas to be had!:)

Newscience likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Thurs, EI: a few Chrysler 300s and 200s, a couple Ford F150s, misc jeeps, impalas, malibus. I chose the 2013 Ford Fusion, loaded. What a nice car to cruise in, both highway & city.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow, airport taxes are just a deal killer for a personal weekend rental. Example I priced today for a weekend rental

2 days were @ $19.98 per day (so $39.96). Taxes add a whopping $35.39 extra, nearly doubling the per day rental rate.

Looks like ORD is not going to be much use to me anymore for weekend rentals, bummer.

Newscience likes this.
  11. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's the thing I am finding out...hopefully when the status hit, there is a corporate discount, because it is expensive per day for me to rent where I am going (SEA) while thrifty for the 3 days is cheaper than one day of any other rental.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last Wed morning, all kinds of options, most any kind of sedan & SUV. Ended up with Nissan Maxima.

Newscience likes this.
  13. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet Willie, thanks for these postings! For some reason, I envision you driving off in either a Corvette or a similar luxury sports car! ;)
    Newscience

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    if the need is there, for sure. Many times I'm driving off in a pickup as it is more practical for my needs vs the Corvette. Now if it is Mrs Willie & myself on vaca in a warm weather destination, where is the droptop!!!! :)

Newscience likes this.