Carry-on restriction enforcement on Comair-operated BA Flights

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Aug 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am about to embark on a trip to southern Africa. Flying via LHR to JNB on BA and then continuing on a Comair-operated BA flight. Same ticket.

According to http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/baggage-essentials/hand-baggage-allowances

I will be able to take everything I need for the trip in a rollaboard and backpack on the BA-operated flights. But the cabin baggage rules are significantly more restrictive for Comair according to that page. In particular, the 7kg max weight is pretty much a non-starter with a rollaboard.

Anyone have any experience with how strictly Comair enforces these limits?

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Comair isn't completely doctrinaire about it. I have got significantly heavier bags on board on occasions, sometimes with a ticking off but more often without anyone saying anything because I don't make them look heavy. Mine are seldom rollaboards, though.

One thing that I think you can still do is take the bag to the gate and gate-check it. Comair used to deliver gate-checked bags back to the aircraft door on arrival, but this has now been discontinued and I believe that gate-checked bags go to the carousel with the other checked bags. So if you want to have a go, this may be one thing to bear in mind.

But in your shoes, I would certainly be planning on the basis that Comair may not allow the rollaboard into the cabin.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'd probably not be too concerned with gate-checking the rollaboard. It's not going to have any fragile or particularly valuable stuff in it, I just want to be fairly certain that it arrives with me in Namibia and I don't have someone try to follow me all around the country to deliver a delayed bag. A gate-checked bag is unlikely to be separated from me. On the way back, I won't care about dirty clothing getting delayed (or, heck, lost), so I will check the bag anyway and just carry my backpack on.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not recent, but when I was there a few years ago they gave me a lot of trouble checking in at MRU. I got around it, but it was not easy.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my case I assume I won't actually have to check in with Comair after arriving from LHR, but rather will already have my BP issued by BA when I check in for my flight to LHR (first leg). Wrong assumption?

6. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, not at all: LHR can easily do this if it's all on the same booking.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So follow-up after completing the trip: no problems carrying on the roll aboard on the outbound, nobody asked to weigh it in JNB (it would have been about 11kg). On the return we checked the rollaboards in Windhoek and they gave us little tags for the backpacks indicating they were carry-ons with a 7kg limit, but I saw other people in the boarding area with large rollaboards plus heavy-looking backpacks with strapped-on tripods that apparently weren't force-gate-checked either.

BA's OLCI didn't give me the BP for the Comair operated flights on the outbound, but the BA gate agent at LAX was able to print them, so smooth sailing on that front, too.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    iolaire likes this.
  8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good - glad that all went smoothly.

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    On September 1st my wife showed up early for a JNB to CPT (business) flight with her backpack and both our roll aboards, since it was way to early they would not let her check any of the roll aboards, so they sent her on the lounge with two 14 kg luggage's and a backpack... One of the bags had a full bottle of wine, and they didn't bat an eye at that either at the check-in desk or at security.

10. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are no liquids restrictions on domestic flights within ZA.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's one thing that I love about flying intra-South Africa. :)