Carry-On Luggage on Air Canada Express

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by ACMM, Oct 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying back to YYZ yesterday. As I was boarding the AC Express plane the FA looked at me and my Rimowa roller (small) and said "Rules are that has to be sky checked" :eek:

I told her it fit in the overhead bin and I have always carried it on board :rolleyes:

She begrudgingly let me on with it but I have no idea why it would have to be sky checked :confused:

She continued to not be pleased as I left the airplane in YYZ ... like really ... worry about something more important like those people bring knapsacks on the size of small buildings and stuffing them overhead and then not being able to close the overhead bin door! :rolleyes:

Morale? Stick to you guns, and carry your luggage on board if you know it will fit! :D

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    All perception as my hard (polysomethingorother) side is actually not as deep...

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly right: a soft-sided non-wheeled bag does not attract attention, even if the size is identical. (Mind you, usually my bag is nowhere near full so it fits even into the CRJ/ERJ overheads.)

5. when the weather changes FA's sometimes start to clamp down on overhead baggage compartment use because people start wearing coats.

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does it make a difference? They don't let you off the plane until all the Skycheck bags are wheeled to the stairs so why be so anal about it?

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is not really correct - passengers are always let off the plane as soon as we park and the doors are open. Passengers who have SkyCheck wait by the door or wherever they bring the SkyCheck baggage and the rest of us with carry-on walk right by :) and are on our way ... so it does indeed make a difference.

I have never seen them wait for all SkyCheck luggage to be brought out before letting passengers deplane - that makes no sense ... maybe they do that on UA or AA? Not on AC.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And without hard-sided carry-on, I'd rather heave my carry-on in the overhead than tossed into the cargo hold.

ACMM likes this.
  9. Most of the time the skycheck baggage is waiting once the FA allows people off the plane. IN YYZ if they land at a gate it takes a minute or two. I still suggest that people who overload the overhead bins in the winter time are being selfish.

tomh009 likes this.
  10. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flew some regional jets with UA out of IAD last week. You get off and wait, just like I've always done on AC.

ACMM likes this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not just in the wintertime! But a smallish carry-on (that does not need to be forcibly wedged into the overheads) isn't really overloading.

12. True enough but sometimes that is only one of two bags being stowed in a limited space.

13. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many posters here are of the SE type .What is the issue? You have 2 carryons you are allowed whether a regional aircraft or mainline variety.

ACMM likes this.
  14. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess in this case the FA had her own rules in mind :)

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

15. Skycheck is the same as carry on and is there because of very limited space on smaller planes. I think its a matter of common decency not status.

tomh009 likes this.
  16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's the crux of the matter, in one sentence!

YULtide likes this.
  17. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    Smaller plane? Is the RJ smaller versus a Q 400? The 400 has plenty of overhead bin space save for row 1.
    Skycheck is easier than carry-on. You can get on last and not first to mark your space in the cabin.

18. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would add that on some Q-400 routes there is no skycheck. Apologies in advance to fellow travellers, but if I'm going YQM-YYZ, I'm filling up my allotment in the overhead bins rather than wait for my luggage at the carrousel.

19. which Q400 routes have no skycheck? The ones I've been on all did.

20. PtsHawg
    Original Member

PtsHawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said in my post, there is none from YQM-YYZ.

21. I have flown YSB/YYZ on a Q400 and they had skycheck both times.

22. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    YYZ to YXU ,YYZ to YQT, YYZ to YQG, YYZ to YQM ,YYZ TO YQB to suggest a few .

Roll on luggage is always sky checked on Dash 100.You could try to take it on-board if that is your desire. You take your bag to a cart at or near the steps going into plane. Your computer bag or personal items in a second small carry-on you take on the plane

On Q400 planes you board the plane with both your roll on and personal items,in other words both items. The only exception I am currently familiar with is with the Q400 planes between Billy Bishop and Dorval. Sky-check applies here as well