Carry-on bags costing TSA millions a year

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by TRHiker, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRHiker

TRHiker Silver Member

Status Points:
    WASHINGTON — Choosing to carry your luggage onto a plane instead of checking it with an airline might save you a few bucks at the ticket counter but it's costing taxpayers about a quarter-billion dollars a year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41893640/from/RSS/

My view: good problem identification, bad solution recommended (more fees to travellers). As it's the airlines' fees which are creating the problem and causing more luggage to go through the TSA's checkpoints, the pushback should be on the airlines. YVMV

Dovster likes this.
  2. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is not me carrying the bag on board that costs TSA money; it is their way of checking them that is costing them money. Cry me a river.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an idea, how about eliminating the scanners that strip away our dignity?

How much money would we save there?

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Neither. She's using funny math. They could EASILY handle the bags with no additional staff if they'd stop the gate searches & eliminate the strip-search machines.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. GreyedOut
    Original Member

GreyedOut Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember the sniffer/puffer machines? How long did those last? Hopefully the stripper machines won't last long either. TONS of money wasted on equipment here.

6. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    A big +1.

Increasing fees to passengers would be the pinnacle of adding insult to injury.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    So...if we start checking bags, and saving TSA money, do we see a reduction in security fees?

As the highly successful TSA baggage screening trial in HNL proved, TSA really can do more with less.

IIRC, the official TSA line there was that passengers were never in any danger from unscreened bags because of the many 'layers' of security. I just haven't figured out which 'layer' compensates for not clearing checked bags. But hey, it's a lot cheaper.

8. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not going to happen as much of the TSA cost is fixed, and any variable component is not related to carry-on bags, it's related to passenger traffic. With the strip-search machines, the time delay is related to the human x-ray process, not the bag x-ray process. Anything the TSA could possibly save at the checkpoints will result in higher costs in the baggage room.

The TSA would prefer more passengers check bags as it allows them to search out-of-passenger-presence.

Ms. Napolitano is trying to use a boogeyman to gain additional funding. Very typical in DC.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  9. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    How true! And with her arguments to Congress to not cut their budget in the name of national security, I imagine she will get her way.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just another excuse to expand their mandate and their funding.

They'd never consider the option of reviewing whether their methods are wasteful, inefficient and useless. :(

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen to that! The is the complete opposite of the classic case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".....TSA is beyond broken.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    And it isn't clear that the number would be full erased if all the carry-on bags went into the belly of the plane, though the costs there are somewhat lower on a per-bag basis. Ironically, she was actually baited into the comment by the Senator IMO. The Senator started in on wanting to tax airline profits to cover the increased costs instead of raising the passenger fees. Apparently the Senator doesn't realize that the passenger is paying either way there and if we have to have the airlines do additional accounting it actually costs the consumer more.

They're all morons.

13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if it's a boogeyman thing, but the intent of getting more funding could not be any more obvious.

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny. I didn't take my shoes off and didn't remove my liquids last week and my plane was fine.

Stupid knee jerk reactions to make non flying mom feel better.

15. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yes, truly inspirational.

Washington (CNN) -- The Transportation Security Administration is investigating between 25 and 30 officers who allegedly routinely failed to check luggage during early morning flights out of Hawaii's Honolulu International Airport. http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/02/hawaii.tsa.security.lapse/

It would appear the TSA's "Job 1" is bureaucratic self-protection; they will try or say anythiing in support of Job 1.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    ::SHOCKED::

That couldn't really be what they're doing, could it?

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. cparekh

cparekh New Member

Status Points:
    Good God! Has no in in the Senate actually taken an economics class? Oh wait ... If tax payers cover it, or if airlines cover it (passing on the costs to travelers and share holders) it costs roughly the same thing to society. Who pays the tax might be different, but the tax is still there.

A better option would be to get rid of the cost entirely.

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better yet, how many in the senate have gone through the "nude-o-scope"? Until they have their dignity stripped, nothing will happen.

BTW, found out that my colon was fine on the last trip .... lol!

Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Mundivaganti
    Original Member

Mundivaganti Silver Member

Status Points:
    And the other elephant in the room: I like to arrive WITH my stuff, thank you. Checked bags often go missing, even when the contents aren't pilfered. Been there, had it happen to me, spent days without a change of clothes -- and I prefer to carry on. Damn the cost.

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The other things that should be called into question:
    1. As with almost any number, these can be fudged. Look at how many screeners are walking around the terminals doing these gate checks and harassing people with beverages in the terminal. You know, what they call the "sterile" side?
    2. More on the numbers. At larger airports, I would bet there are more CTX machines (the machines that check checked baggage) that standard x-ray machines. There should be more throughput with carry-on bags. Passengers not checking bags should be embraced by the TSA, not used as a weapon (that they wouldn't detect, anyway).
    3. I hope Chafetz or whoever asks about how much is being spent on the virtual strip search machines and ask how many of those being sent back to the manufacturer would save money.

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This follows the same logic (to me and me only) as a statement like this:

Passengers Costing Airlines Billions of Dollars Every Year.

Airline Execs Agree, "If we could only get rid of them, our businesses would be so much more profitable".

boxedlunch and Gargoyle like this.
  22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSA costs passengers billions a year (theft)
    TSA costs business billions a year (wasted time)
    TSA costs airlines billions a year (reduced flying)
    TSA costs tourism industry billions a year (foreigners visiting other countries instead of USA)
    etc

Gargoyle, 2MM_Guy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  23. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    TSA causes deaths of thousands (auto accidents rather than safer flying for long journeys)

ahow628, Gargoyle and hulagrrl210 like this.
  24. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No more money for TSA until they actually catch someone trying to board a plane with box cutters!

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every time you don't check a bag, the TSA kills a kitten. Think of the kittens.