Carpe diem on the go

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Tinkerer, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, how have you seized an experience while on the go? This person took a video of the space shuttle launching...​

and if you read more of the story, they wouldn't have had a chance to see this if the plane wasn't 2+ hours delayed (plus, drinks were on the house after they saw this)

2. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    how cool is that! plus free drinks!

3. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good morning box from sunny Lisbon where I will be wearing my sunscreen in places other than my face today too. We set off with jackets and didn't expect to shed them[​IMG]. Enjoying the seagulls that are circling around making quite a racket.

milchap likes this.
  4. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personal PWP session for me while the world snoozes[​IMG]

5. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's a little hard to follow THAT kind of an OP, but I've jumped upon plenty of unexpected experiences while on the go.

One I remember quite fondly was a very neat brass band performance on the streets of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, that I encountered while wandering around. Europeans must like their brass bands, because I saw a similar thing in the main square of San Marino. Stumbling across bits of local culture like that is one of the reasons I love traveling as much as I do.

I actually ended up in Pamplona during the San Fermin festival (famous for the Running of the Bulls), although we arrived in the late afternoon and ended up needing to move on rather quickly. I do remember driving through crowds of people dressed in white with red kerchiefs, though.

A relative we were visiting in Melbourne in November 2008 hosted a debate among several of the candidates for Lord Mayor, so we opted to go. I do believe current Lord Mayor Robert Doyle was in attendance. Again, interesting to get a look at local culture and politics that most tourists would never see.

Let's see...
    • Stumbled across a Polynesian fundraiser/barbecue festival just off the Road to Hana and enjoyed some good food and music.
    • Met a friend in Denver who took us to the Taste of Colorado food festival--crazy and crazy delicious stuff there!
    • Happened to be driving through Truro, Nova Scotia, about 15 minutes before the famed bore tide started climbing up the river--I saw the sign so pulled over and Googled the timetable and ended up turning off the freeway and watching the river start flowing backwards. Weirdly awesome.
    • Left a friend's house near Lindau, Germany to head up towards Stuttgart via Neu-Ulm to depart Germany on August 11, 1999 and suddenly remembered it was the day of the eclipse (the heavy traffic must have tipped us off). We tried to make it up to the zone of totality but ended up pulling off somewhere near Memmingen. A few local Germans on the street watching the sky loaned us a couple of homemade film glasses to safely watch the moon mostly obscure the Sun--didn't hit total darkness, but it was visibly twilighty and the air noticeably cooled. Neat to meet a few generous people, too.
    • Street festival in Bern featuring a group of teen performers with a worldwide organization I belong to left me with a neat CD and neat word to spread about our organization's work in Switzerland.
    • A broken muffler near a farmhouse bed and breakfast in southeastern Norway led to a fixed muffler and dinner that night and half a day spent eating breakfast at the farmer's kitchen table talking with him and his wife before we finally managed to pull ourselves away and keep moving down the road.
    • Staying the night at a bed and breakfast near Hastings in southeast England and not realizing I had accidentally taken a pillow from a chair until I arrived in Ireland. I had to wait two weeks until we returned to the UK before shipping the pillow back in order to avoid international shipping rates!
    • Spending the night at a B&B in Cornwall and making fast friends with the owner and his wife, who were brand-new to the hospitality biz. We spent half the morning (again!) talking before they finally stood on their front porch and waved us off as we drove down the long driveway. Later that day, both of us looked at each other and asked, "Did you pay them?" Found a postbox and had to mail the forgotten payment!
    • Again, a lovely B&B owner in Cashel, Ireland offered to make us authentic Irish stew for dinner. We set off down the road after the full Irish breakfast (virtually identical to the full English breakfast and full Scottish breakfast, I discovered, even though each claims it as their own :p) and made a relatively leisurely (for us :p) loop down to Cork, the Blarney Castle, and out to the end of the Dingle Peninsula before returning to Cashel. Upon returning home to a simmering pot of stew, we began to fill in the details of our day to our wonderful hostess. We regaled the hostess with the adventuresome story of beginning our day driving down the inspiring M8 to Cork. She stopped us there. "Ya went all the wey ta Cark?!" she exclaimed, clutching her chest. We opted not to tell her that consisted of only about the first sixth of our journey. :D (We learned from her that no Cashelman in his right mind would drive the three hours to Dublin unless he planned to make a week's holiday out of it--it's simply too far! I suppose distance is relative when your whole life takes place on an island that can fit inside the greater Los Angeles area. The stew was phenomenal, though!)
    • Yet another bed and breakfast hostess, this time in Edinburgh, was a sweetheart--along with her daughter. Not really a B&B (we were referred there by the owner of a full B&B who knew she had an open room and needed a little extra money), she was definitely a product of the working class but as sweet as they come. Her shy but friendly daughter happily did our laundry for the tidy sum of £1 while we gallivanted around the Edinburgh Festival (and got last-minute seats to the awesome Military Tattoo!).
    • Visiting Athens during one of the [I gather to be] common government worker strikes, we were unable to enter the grounds of the Acropolis. Standing at the gate, we were approached by a reporter and cameraman for one of the local media outlets. My grandfather--always a clown--winked at me and said, "Watch this." He proceeded to launch into a diatribe against the workers and how they were ruining the dreams of tourists wanting to explore history first-hand. It was an epic act. A nearby camera crew from a different media outlet saw the animated performance from afar and rushed over, obviously wanting my grandfather to repeat his performance. He winked at me and proceeded to launch into a tirade against the Greek government, obviously treating its workers poorly and asking too much of them for too little money. Hard work should be rewarded! We arrived at our hotel that evening and saw the news playing on the lobby TV. Realizing that our shenanigans could get us in trouble, we opted to sneak out early the next morning and flee the country before we could be found. :D
    Funny how it's the unexpected surprises and human connections that I remember most about my travels. :) (Most of the above happened during my extensive European travels in 1999, 2000, or 2001, yet I remember these events like they were yesterday.)

I'm sure there are more, but these are just the ones that came to me as I stared at a map of the world, remember all the fun places I've been. :)

Now that I've completely underwhelmed you all... :D

inukshuk and Tinkerer like this.
  6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On holiday in SIN that coincided with the National Day celebration. Events, parades, fireworks, etc. None of it anticipated.

7. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do end up being memorable, at least they are supposed to be. Not for me though. I know I've stumbled into a lot of things by happenstance, the most meaningful was in the centre of Albany, Western Australia at 11 AM on the 11th of Nov. when the whole area simply stopped... all cars, work, and pedestrians motionless for a minute.​

8. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Cambridge for a week and was heading back on a VS flight from LHR. I had a VS car pick me up and as the driver and I were talking, I shared that I wished I'd had a chance to spend some time in London since I hadn't been there in a couple years and it would've been nice to see the sights again. The driver was kind enough to take the "scenic route" and I had my very own private tour of London - it was one of my best tours around the city and while most of the pictures are off center (taken with me sticking my head out the window while we were on the go) they are still some of my favorites (or, should I say favourites ;)). And, of course, it only made me <3 VS UC even more.