Carnival Bans Bringing Bottled Water Onboard

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carnival Bans Bringing Bottled Water Onboard

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    = causing revenue loss concerns

ella, kwai, Gargoyle and 3 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truth be told. Well said. :)

Newscience and edekba like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 and I recently cruised with another couple. When they were packing we commented on the 2 large bottles (@1L) of Scope. The response was they don't always feel like hanging at the bar.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no revenue loss from water though... I guess they figure if people can't bring their own water they will order more soft drinks / alcohol? That's rather unlikely though.

The last few times we cruised I have brought drinks, but not water. Usually Gatorade and juices for our little one, since he's not fond of the choices on Norwegian (usually cranberry and orange juice).

I guess the problem is that they don't have any way to check each "water" bottle and make sure it's sealed and doesn't have any vodka in it -- or everclear, or whatever other liquid you want to pass for "water" when smuggling it in.

Of course, if they weren't in the business of gouging customers for alcohol and soft drinks, they wouldn't have the problem of people trying to disguise it to bring their own onboard.

Mapsmith, Dublin_rfk, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

Some college football teams do the same thing.

You have to buy their water.

DTWBOB

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    $7.95 for a mixed drink is gouging? Sure $5.95 for a beer in a can may be gouging, but I have found the Bartenders on Cruise Ships have a heavy hand.

uggboy likes this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sucks for those that like a particular brand of product. I've never cruised but I like to have Bai 5 Panama Peach with me whenever possible, would suck to go on a cruise and not be able to bring it.

Mapsmith, uggboy and viguera like this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's kind of the problem though... If you like beer rather than liquor, then you don't have much choice but to pay whatever they tell you and like it, since you're a captive audience.

Same goes for if you like green Gatorade or Monster energy drinks or a particular brand of bottled water.

I've worked in NYC long enough to be OK with $15 cocktails, so cruise ship prices are not that outlandish, but when a change like this being passed as a safety issue rather than profit grabbing you can't help but feeling ripped off.

10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of this stuff posted here is too funny:rolleyes:. You guys have no idea what and how much stuff people try to (and with some success) try to sneak on these ships.
    So what if your favorite drink is not available I presume you think have the right to bring your liquor of choice (or water for that matter) into any bar back home.

Mapsmith likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do like that now if you book early you can get the beverage included packages thrown in at a fairly low price. We have not yet taken advantage of it, but I do like the "all inclusive" option since it means you don't need to make a decision to spend money or not at the time of sale (beyond likely mandatory tipping).

12. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless something has changed recently Carnival has a cruise / bottomless cup for soft drinks. Bottled water was always pricey.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's different now, isn't it? If I go to a bar and they don't have any Stella and that's my favorite beer, I can walk out and go to another bar.

You don't get that choice when it comes to a cruise ship. :)

14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said. :)

Dublin_rfk and Mapsmith like this.
  15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, they now sell a 12 pack of water for $2.99. that is reasonable. $.50 per bottle. While not as cheap as the grocers that sell it for $2.99 for a 24 pack, it is reasonable. It is also reasonable to drink water from the taps in the restaurants on board.

uggboy and Dublin_rfk like this.
  16. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    But they do have Cigar City Beer and some ships have the Red Frog Ale. Both are very good.

viguera and uggboy like this.
  17. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Corrected your math... 2.99/12 = $0.25/bottle. Good price. :D

Mapsmith likes this.
  18. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh well... I suppose Carnival (read all cruise lines) are assuming perhaps quite incorrectly that the passengers who book are boarding to take a cruise not for the drinking experience. :)

Mapsmith, viguera and skyvan like this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to pull the DYK card here, but unless you take a lot of cruises, particularly long ones each year, you don't really have a good frame of reference.

If you have kids and they like soda -- or you don't mind the sugar intake -- then the onboard offerings might be fine. If you have a particular medical or personal health reason why you'd rather not chug down the sugar, and you want to bring your own, having that option is a godsend.

If you have a toddler and sugary juice or soda is not even an option, then having the ability to take your own stuff becomes a requirement.

Being able to do that on a 7 night trip or longer is not a small thing either.

There's a lot to cruising, and to each their own if they want to get plastered or they're fine with the options they have onboard, but like I said they're just disguising this as a safety measure when it's just a money grab.

Mapsmith likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not into a bar, but so far at least no hotel has prevented me from bringing into my hotel room (and consuming it there) whatever beverage I elect to buy outside the hotel.

Mapsmith likes this.
  21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about this as a little back-ground info?
    a) Within the last year a not quite sixteen year old male on a cruise along with three of his older siblings on a Carnival vessel got serious alcohol poisoning that required airlifting him from the ship by helicopter to the nearest hospital. Luckily the vessel was close enough to be able do a relatively quick enough transfer or the vessel would have had to divert.
    b) The parents sued Carnival claiming that the bartenders on board served an underage "child" alcoholic drinks.
    c) The evidence in the case essentially pointed the finger toward his siblings sneaking alcohol on board in their carry-on luggage.
    Carnival found not culpable.

BTW I am afraid I will pull DYKWIA card......nobody on this or any other bulletin board I am aware of knows more about ships than I do.:)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    iolaire and Mapsmith like this.