Caribbean Airlines 737-800 breaks in two on landing

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by NYBanker, Jul 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Flight went from JFK, stopping at [POS] and landed in a storm at GEO. Overshot runway, and the fuselage split. A bit reminiscent of the AA 737 in [Jamaica] 2-3 years ago.

Thankfully a relatively happy ending in light of the circumstances. No fatalities, and only 4 major injuries.

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/31/world/americas/31guyana.html

GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) — A Caribbean Airlines jet from New York overshot a rainy runway, slid through a chain-link fence and broke apart just short of a ravine here on Saturday.
    Several dozen people were injured, but no one was killed among the 163 people on board, officials said.
    Passengers aboard the plane, a Boeing 737-800, said they had begun to applaud the pilot’s landing in Guyana just after midnight when things went wrong.
    The applause suddenly “turned to screams,” said Geeta Ramsingh, 41, of Philadelphia. She said she hopped on the wing and then into the road outside the runway fence, apparently suffering only bruises.
    The plane, operating as Flight 523, apparently overshot the 7,400-foot runway at Cheddi Jagan International Airport and barely missed falling into a 200-foot ravine, said President Bharrat Jagdeo, who visited the crash site.
    About 100 people were injured, four seriously, said Devant Maharaj, the transportation minister in Trinidad, where Caribbean Airlines is based.
    The plane, which departed from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, stopped in Trinidad before landing in Guyana. The airline said it was carrying 157 passengers and six crew members.
    The cause of the crash was not immediately clear. Mr. Jagdeo said he had asked the United States National Transportation Safety Board to help investigate.

2. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the 737-800 fuselage broke at its usual place. I try to avoid the seat row numbers 5-9 in the 738.

Casey Friday and SC Flier like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a miracle there were no fatalities.

Casey Friday and SC Flier like this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update for seatexpert.com:
    [​IMG]

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on which row it is, you might be the first one out!

SC Flier likes this.
  6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seat Guru may not upload this one. ;)

SC Flier likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I read of barely missing a 200-foot ravine, I envisioned a huge drop off. But when I look at the airport in Google Earth, I can't figure out what this is referring to.

8. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have added row 10 too to the danger zone. The row 5-9 advice was intended for the low seat number SAS 738s (150 seat).

Another break up in the danger zone:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The flight AA331 also shows the other weak point of the 738 fuselage - seat row 24-27

At the Turkish Airlines flight 1951 accident at AMS the rear fuselage break was further back. The reason for this is that this aircraft crashed with the tail first (deep stall).

Even the 737-700 has this forward fuselage weak point:
    [​IMG]

9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to avoid the 738... when I can't, make sure I'm in F or exit row!

Merlin likes this.
  10. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't fly in first/business on short haul, therefore I always try to get the emergency exit row - always great leg length too.

11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something we don't get to see every day is the open emergency exit doors. In this case, the doors pop out and up, so the person opening them doesn't have to actually lift it and doesn't have to set it on a seat or toss it out the exit.

Merlin likes this.
  12. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 737NG emergency exit door would have been to heavy to remove manually, and to get the NG approved Boeing had to redo the design. 737CL has manual throw away doors - and this evening I was an emergency exit door guard on a 737-300.

SC Flier likes this.
  13. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is one Bad thing about flying but I still Love to fly instead of driving down the road with another car so close to me. I was a private pilot for 20 years and Love it every time I was in the Air.