CARES Harness or Car Seat for Flight to Europe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by BeltwayExplorers, Apr 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BeltwayExplorers

BeltwayExplorers New Member

Status Points:
    We are taking a trip to Bavaria this summer with our daughter who will be 18 months old when we travel. She will have flown over a dozen times by then, but we always take the car seat since we've needed it at our destinations. We won't need the car seat in Europe and will be switching hotels a couple times, so taking the CARES harness instead is very appealing.

For those who've flown long flights with toddlers, is it worth dealing with the car seat at your destination for the sanity on the plane, or is it better to pack as lightly as possible and use the CARES harness?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The car seat is definitely a hassle, but it has its advantages -- namely if it's a long flight and she wants to nap comfortably, strapped in properly with good support.

We considered the harness when our toddler was younger, but after reading some reviews we never went with it. I think if you preboard and have enough time to set everything up, and assuming you're flying Y and not some weird cocoon seat or really large F setup, you should be ok.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No experience with either option, and I don't know if it's cost effective, but I believe both FRA and MUC have luggage storage services.