Card numbers decoded

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by daninstl, Aug 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if this stuff has been posted elsewhere on MP but Yahoo actually had an interesting short article on CC numbers and how they are assigned. Good newbie read. It's not all inclusive as I think there is a lot more to it from my past experience in trying to get Gold status from overseas programs but it's good basic info.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-numbers-credit-card-really-160743550.html

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this. It lacks detail if one wants to have such detail, but what it says is all correct, in my opinion.

FWIW, all the numbers are generically referred to as "bin" numbers and are assigned to issuing members (almost entirely, but not 100%, banks) in bulk, hence the name. There are other sources for anybody who really wants to be very detailed, for instance there are specific bin groupings assigned to specific card products types as assigned by the brand (i.e. American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover) while others are pointers to other accounts, such as debit cards and combined debit/credit cards. All those permutations do have account number logic. As a final generic point, the authentication logic is entirely different for chip cards, whether chip/online pin, chip/offline pin or chip/signature. Account number logic plays a different role in such cases.

If anybody wants to read about details just ask. Several of us know the references. Warning: be prepared to be bored to death! The warning is not casual. I have trouble staying awake when being paid for working with the subject.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, they referred to the check-digit as "random", which, of course, it certainly isn't.

I wouldn't mind finding out more about the subject, especially if I need help sleeping one night.

4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am interested in knowing more too if anyone is willing to share some resources. :)

Gargoyle and daninstl like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That database standards are governed by ISO/IEC 7812
    http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=39698
    The database used for this ISO is not public, so there is no legitimate authoritative way to access this data for public release.
    However, believe it or not the Wikipedia article on the subject is accurate and includes references to a number of the specific detailed standards used for various subjects.
    The partial list of ATM network cards are listed, as are quite a few other specifics. If all this is still not enough, the next level of detail is in system programming and data entry standards that apply to card account processing systems. Some card processors allow such data to be nearly public, but the hard part is understanding it because the instructions for system use do not specific which entity controls what numbers, but instead discusses field sizes and value ranges. Not mentioned in the Wiki explicitly is the MasterCard, Visa, American Express practice of using part of the BIN (Now an outmoded term, but still used by virtually the whole industry, as the Wiki implies) to describe major product types (Consumer Charge: Green, Gold, Platinum; Consumer Credit: ditto Corporate Charge: Green, Gold, Platinum; Corporate Purchasing; Small Business and so on). Visa had 53 card class types the last time I looked, the others have variety in that range too. because of the product differences enhanced logic for customer treatment, preference and even more business logic has been built into not only the BIN part, but also the account numbers. It can become maddenly complex, so more recently most such logic is being held externally and linked to account numbers, so account logic itself is rapidly going away.

I suspect the public part of ISO/IEC 782 and the Wiki probably will satisfy curiosity.

6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link has been bookmarked for light reading... Haha

jbcarioca and daninstl like this.
  7. nishanth

nishanth Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

8. ameena 12

ameena 12 New Member

Status Points:
    All those permutations do have account number logic. As a final generic point, the authentication logic is entirely different for chip cards, whether chip/online pin, chip/offline pin or chip/signature. Account number logic plays a different role in such cases.

sara

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather than saying "Account number logic plays a different role in such cases", I would probably say 'account number logic often plays...". A few large issuers have adopted even chip/online pin and still retained all the traditional account number logic, including the old authentication logic. They have done that because most of those cards can still be used in a completely traditional swiped magstripe environment. A a general rule if there remains a magstripe on the card account number logic from that era is still retained.

10. antonov2015l

antonov2015l New Member

Status Points:
    Do not understand what you write it , it is meaningless

jbcarioca likes this.