Carbon tax to push up Qantas prices

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Chimpy, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce says he supports the Federal Government's carbon tax in principle, but says the company needs to see more details.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard wants to introduce a fixed price on carbon in July 2012, but the Federal Government has not yet determined the tax level.

Mr Joyce is a member of the Government's business roundtable on climate change.

He says if the carbon price is between $20 and $30 a ton it could take $100 million off the airline's annual profit.
    [More here]
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/04/3182127.htm?section=business

I imagine everything will go up in price not just airfares :(

Horse, Kalboz, savydog and 1 other person like this.
  2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's a tax, they will just add it like YQ and passengers might have to bear 100% of the cost :p

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  3. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what revenue Qantas currently raises from its optional carbon offset charge?

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  4. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing, supposedly. Considering it's charged to a separate merchant (I did pay for one offset to attempt to activate my QF free flight on my Amex; it didn't work hence finding this out) I'd say it's not making any revenue per say.

savydog likes this.