Car travel in Romania

Discussion in 'Europe' started by LXJenkins, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I will be visiting Romania (starting in Bucharest) in October 2011 for 4 days. From what I've read, 4 days is too much time for Bucharest alone so we'll likely visit Sighisoara (and any other suggestions - feel free to suggest). Would you recommend we rely solely on public transportation to get between Bucharest and surrounding areas - or should we rent a car? How are the roads in Romania? Thanks!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. The main roads and the highways are mostly in good shape, but if you like to go a bit off the bigger cities or villages, you have to take care of your car because there are some major potholes. I've been there three years ago, could be possible that the situation has changed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The roads are not in very good shape but they are not disasters either IME. I'd drive there without hesitation. GPS would be a big help because signage can sometimes be lacking. I also lived in Rio de Janeiro, not noted for good roads, so I will say the roads in Romania are generally better than roads are in brazil. For me, I like driving there.

4. I also had no problems at all.

The people are very friendly, so don't panic, if you lost your orientation. Just ask them...

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you won't have any problems driving there. Do be cautious and alert however as accidents are quite common. 4 days in Bucharesti is too long- good idea to go exploring. I have not looked at a Lonely Planet guide for Romania in years- however the old ones were quite accurate and unusually good for Lonely Planet (I am not a big fan). Brasov is also a popular city to visit and a pleasant enough drive through the mountains.

6. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    We rented a car in Romania in 2000, and visited the Brasov, Sighasorara, Vlad's castle, etc. But the best thing we did was to drive to the painted churches in the north. The roads were good, but the hotels were pretty basic. We had little trouble navigating by map and guide book, probably Frommer's or Fodor's. The churches are beautiful and the trip was a bit of an adventure as we speak no languages other than English. We did get a traffic ticket in some out of the way place, so watch your speed through small towns.