Car Renters, Watch the GPS. It Could Be Watching You.

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/1724/20120616/car-renters-watch-gps-watching.htm

Rental car companies have been keeping tabs on how you drive. For the last ten years or so, they have reportedly been checking on how fast you drive, how far and where you go. Not so amazing. But wait. Insurance companies are beginning to take a peep too. "Now insurance companies are beginning to tap into the information that GPS units can reveal about drivers," according reports in the news and at ConsumerTraveler.Com.

And bring your magnifying glass to read all that horrible fine print before you sign the rent-car- agreements to use their GPS system.

http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/1724/20120616/car-renters-watch-gps-watching.htm

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    we just rented from Hertz and not only did the car have a built in navigation system, but we also had the hertz system included in the car. They must really be watching us.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terrible news, Big Brother seems to be everywhere!:mad:

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    we only utilize GPS when traveling abroad as Mrs Sweet Willie is happy to relinquish her co-pilot duties. Guess I will have to dig out the mag glass to read the fine print.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dont apply to me I take my Garmin loaded with NA and European maps ( lifetime free upgrades) everywhere I go.
    I might be wrong but I cannot imagine rental car companies supplying top of the line units anyway so why use them?

6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

I do the same thing with my Magellan -- only I pre-program it at home with major destinations.

DTWBOB