Car Rental - Keep Checking!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Steven Schwartz, Feb 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be common knowledge but it wasn't for me. The first time was a family trip to Scottsdale - four adults and two 3 year olds. Checked the big three and rented a Tahoe - and the cost for the week was almost $900 on all three. Ended up renting from National.

A few days before the trip, decided to check again and snagged the same car, from the same rental company, for $350!

Now we're headed to Florida - PBI. Same deal. Rented about 4-5 weeks ago and got a Ford Fusion from National for $380. Checked a few days ago and got the same car for $190 for the week. And looked yesterday and it was down to $160! Pretty easy - just reserve again and cancel the original one.

Hmmm - maybe I should check again today!

2. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I did the same for my current rental from MIA, checking multiple times in the last 2-3 days before renting. I also used http://www.carrentalsavers.com/index.html for their coupon info and a discount from USAir and got a mid-size car for $89 for six days. Most of that cost is the taxes and fees that can't be eliminated.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point. If price goes up you are covered, if it goes down you cancel / rebook and pocket a few $$.:cool:

miles and smiles and tondoleo like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    why not?
    beat me to it, good job !

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't see why people go gaga over autoslash.com. I can always get something better using the coupons at carrentalsavers.com, mousesavers.com or rentalmomma.com.

2soonold and miles and smiles like this.
  7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    While both of these companies have their places, I have various discount code attached to my accounts and pretty much always beat them - often by quite a bit. The rate thru National through CarRentalSavers is $70 more than I'm paying! But if someone had no codes at all (for example, AAA), sounds like a good idea.

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Autoslash checks for you. That's its main advanatge.
    I am also finding better deals without it, but it doesn't hurt to let autoslash work for me, too.

2soonold and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use National. As soon as I know I'm traveling, I reserve a car. A few days before I travel, I check again. Many times I've gotten a considerably lower rate, sometimes not. So I get the best rate either way. I do the same thing with hotel reservations. I've gotten some better last-minute hotel rates, but not as often as on the car rental.

2soonold and miles and smiles like this.
  10. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't used Autoslash because it hasn't worked for me; but, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
    When I book anything, I already know what I am willing to pay. Booking 6 weeks out, I'm just trying to assure that I have a car, in case there is going to be a convention in town. Checking in the last week, every now and then I find the price will drop a significant amount; and I will rebook. I find this is more likely to happen at a "tourist" destination.
    It happens, but rarely, that marketforces will push the price of a Premium below the price of a midsize. If I am on vacation I may take advantage of that and rebook.
    But if the price is too high, I just consider that a reality check to myself to consider doing something else. When my upcoming Springbreak proved to be just too pricey; I almost opted for a staycation. Then it came to me that I live close enough to Florida that I could chop off a few nights, lop off the airfare, upgrade the rental car, and make it a long weekend. Works for me.:)