Car Rental Elite Status & Coupons

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ilex00, Aug 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ilex00

ilex00 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am new to the miles and points genre but am immersing myself, learning, and enjoying it tremendously! I've garnered a lot of helpful info from perusing Milepoint so thanks to all. Now to my question.

Because of recent credit card sign up and status matching, I have Executive Elite status with National and President's Club with Avis. I've got a trip upcoming and have found better prices both on 3rd party sites and also on the car companies' sites but using IDs (i.e AWD) not affiliated with my elite status. My question is twofold - can I expect to receive elite benefits if I book through third party site or using alternate IDs. If not, is it more beneficial to pay a bit more and reap the benefits of elite status?

Thanks to all who take the time to respond.

airshadow and marcwint55 like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used elite status and booked on a third party site with National.
    It may be as simple as showing your elite card when renting.
    It may also depend on the agent you encounter (some make up rules).
    I do not recall a requirement for AVIS or National to book via their site to receive benefits.

ilex00 and marcwint55 like this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless perhaps you have a special agreement otherwise, Avis' Preferred Service does not restrict you to a single AWD. (Avis T&Cs)

Same for National and all other standard frequent rental programs in the US, AFAIK.

If the default AWD on your account includes any special benefits such as LDW rental insurance, be aware that these benefits do not carry over to any rentals booked with other AWDs.

ilex00 and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used both companies after booking on another site and received my full elite benefits. After you book the reservation, call the company and give them your elite membership #. Keep in mind that with Avis you are entitled to a two class upgrade and they are usually very good about giving you that or better.

ilex00 likes this.
  5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think most of the info is covered above. I have never had any problem with National when booking through a third party site.:)

6. joinajmmi

joinajmmi New Member

Status Points:
    Expedia offer some deals on car rental services.

7. joinajmmi

joinajmmi New Member

Status Points:
    Visit expedia.com for the great deals on car rental