Captain Dave's First 747 Flight 8/21/13 SFO-SYD

Discussion in 'Meetups' started by MSY-MSP, Jul 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well as many of you know I participate on the Board of Directors of the Captain Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund.

If you don't know Captain Dahl was the pilot of United Flight 93 that crashed in Shanksville PA on 9/11. Many of the board members are pilots for United, Captains Denny, Jeff, Tom and Dave.

Captain Dave and Jason were best friends and joined United at the same time. They were one apart on the seniority list and spent their careers chasing each other. The goal when they started at United was to eventually serve as Captain on the 747. Unfortunately for Jason he never got that opportunity.

Well, Captain Dave has now been given that opportunity to be a captain on the 747. Captain Dave has been a 777 captain for the last 8 years, and today (July 16) is his first day in flight school for his transition from the 777 to the 747. He gets to spend the next month learning about the 747 and building his qualifications back up. So why did I go through this whole little story.....

Captain Dave wanted to make his first flight as a Captain on the 747 special. He wants to see if he can get a bunch of Milepointers on his maiden flight. We worked long and hard with the scheduling desk and the training captain to make sure we could know the actually flight as far out as possible. This wasn't easy, but we were able to get it done.

Captain Dave's first flight as Captain will be on Wednesday August 21, 2013 UA 863 SFO-SYD.

The idea is to have as many of us onboard as we can. The downside, well you have to pay your way to get there and back. (or something goes haywire in crew scheduling)

Captain Dave promises to make the trip a memorable one (but hopefully not TOO memorable)

Lets see what happens with this and depending on the numbers we can work on something formal or informal in SYD.

FriendlySkies, desamo and tommy777 like this.
  2. MSY-MSP
    Original Member

MSY-MSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reserved for details and attendee list

3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are currently seats SFO-SYD in Y currently available at the saver level with MileagePlus.

4. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    oyy. That's a long flight.. I'd love to do it (but not in coach :p), but have other plans for that week. :(

5. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    You already know I'm in... 45C. Eek

legalalien, desamo and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nathan, how long are you in SYD for? Trying to plan my August trip to AKL to coincide with this.

Anyone up for crossing the ditch? 10k AA miles/12.5k UA miles and a 2.5 - 3 hr flight... ;)