Capital One Venture Rewards redemption

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Infinite1K, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was trying to redeem rewards for an existing purchase. I had 21,000 miles and my purchase was $220 which would translate to 22,000 miles.

I had thought you could just apply the miles and then pay the balance. But apparently you cannot do that. I called Capital One and the agent said you couldn't either.

Am I the only one that didn't read the fine print :oops:

Has anyone else run into this issue?

deant likes this.
  2. carsonheim
    Original Member

carsonheim Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah, I ran into this as well. You must pay the entire purchase with the points. that's "no hassle"????

Infinite1K and deant like this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That problem was talked about when everyone signed up for the card last March. Nothing anyone has been able to do about it.

However, a known flaw in the online "redemption" system is that you can request multiple redemptions for the same charge.

Infinite1K likes this.
  4. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

The whole experience with Capital One has been gimmicky, starting with the way they defined the requirements for the 100,000 miles promotion last year to how you redeem.

One thing is for sure though: I'm not renewing with them.

5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really don't see any serious issue with this. Nowhere is it said you can redeem Venture miles for part of a travel purchase.

Since you can redeem points for travel expenses incurred in the past 90 days, you have time to put $500 through on the card, earn the 1000 points you need and then redeem the points.

I happen to love this card. At a 2% rebate on travel expenses it would still be my primary if the Sapphire hadn't come along.

arkleseizure, Toula and deant like this.
  6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a great card, and was a great promo to start. Yes, I know two 'greats' in one sentence, but when I applied for 4 of these, and had all approved, (wife, son, company (used the same miles as self), and self, and all miles/points applied, with no hassle, it certainly makes one think it should be a go to card. The fine print is a must read area, but most don't read. Then when one little thing pops up, after getting a free $1,000, tempers flair.
    Want to hear a plus, and perhaps a glitch, that may still be there? I applied for a credit on travel around $200.00 and when I got to the final screen, that screen said, sorry our system didn't recognize your request, try again later, or something to that effect. So I ran it all the next day and got my credit, and thought that was the end of it. I didn't think too much of it, until I received my paper bill in the mail, and there was a credit for about $60 or so. That glitch went through the first time and again the second time. Made my purchase at Staples pretty darn cheap when I used that credit.
    Hassle, OK, if you say so.

7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Caveat emptor...and thanks for alerting us who may have been unaware about the quirks of these points.

8. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the card in 05/11, caught the tail of that 100K + 10K offer. I have about 250K points now, good for 2,5K in travel spend. Fine print or not, I can't complain.