Capital One newbie questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Aktchi, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for the C1 at the last possible moment (the offer was already pulled from the website but you could still apply if you phoned) and was approved. A few newbie questions -

1. I have sent my AA statement and should be in line to receive 100K points. However, in various discussions numbers like 110K have been floated. Where is the extra coming from? Am I missing some step I should be taking?

2. Required initial spend of $1K - can it also be partially or fully the "travel spend" for which I can ask for credit?

3. Does the travel spend charge have to be at least, at most, or exactly equal to the credit I expect from C1?

Examples: If I charge a ticket for $1500, can I get $1000 of that paid by the 100K points? If I charge two tickets for $800+$200=$1000, can that be paid by converting 100K points?

Thanks.

2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The sign up bonus is 10k points, plus the 100k matching after you spend 1k on the card.

The 1k spend is just normal credit card charges.

Not sure about your other questions. Check the web site. For prior paid travel, the credit amount is 1 cent per point, so 100k points will get you $1000 in credits towards prior paid travel. (and that may not be the most value you can get from Venture card points.) I don't know what would happen if you selected prior travel related transactions for a point amount greater than your current point account balance. I guess you can try it and let us know what happens.

-David

Aktchi, gleff and deant like this.
  3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can answer that, because I just tried it. Using points to get a statement credit for previously purchased travel works like this: First, you log onto the CapitalOne site and navigate to the part where you redeem points for previously purchased travel. (I don't recall the exact navigation, but it's only a few clicks to get there.) Once you're there, you're presented with a list of "travel" expenses that you've charged on the card. Each entry has a checkbox next to it. If you want a statement credit for that particular line item, you check the box for it. Continue checking boxes until you get close to (but not above) your points balance, then click the button do do the redemption.

For example, if the ONLY things you bought on the card last month were a plane ticket, a meal at the airport, a cab fare, and a teddy bear for your kid, you'd log onto the redemption site and see only the plane ticket and the cab fare ... and both of them would have checkboxes next to them. The meal and the teddy bear don't appear because they're not "travel purchases" (see below).

There are two "gotchas" here (which you may not consider "gotchas" but you should know them anyway).

First, you cannot redeem rewards for PART of a previously purchased travel item. So if your hotel stay was $1000 but you only have 50,000 points, you cannot redeem those points for only $500 of that $1000 charge. Each travel item is an all-or-nothing deal. The effect of this is that large-ticket items are more difficult to "credit away" with points. For long hotel stays, you may want to see if the front desk is willing to charge each day separately to break up the charge into several smaller charges so they're easier to redeem against.

Second, THEY decide what qualifies as a "travel" expense based on some back-end logic. For example, my plane ticket and baggage surcharge appeared as separate travel charges, ... as did my cab fare. However, I'm betting there will be some things that I consider to be a travel expense that they do not.

So to answer your examples: In the case of the $1500 ticket, NO you can't redeem your 100,000 points for $1000 off of that. In the case of your $800+$200 tickets, yes, you can redeem your 100,000 to wipe those away.

lin821, deant, Aktchi and 2 others like this.
  4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Makes sense and what one would expect, but it's good to know that really is the way it works.

5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. So the 10K bonus is automatic?

Thanks for this as well - I especially appreciated that you were straining to answer when you didn't know the answer. :D

Seriously, I know that I can observe and share my future experiences. However, the purpose of asking a question, usually, is to benefit from other people's past experiences. :) Like your informative answer about 111K points above, or Ed Chandler's below.

Thank you very much for that detailed, lucid, and step by step explanation. I am sure that many MP'ers will benefit from it.

Do you---or anyone else---know whether travel-related items like airline gift cards or airline mile have been accepted as travel purchases?

6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I believe so, assuming that was part of your offer (it was for all of us as far as I know), once you meet the terms of the sign-up bonus. So if that requires 1k CC spend, then you would get 10k bonus + 2K (or more) venture card points from the 1K spend, and eventually the 100k match, so after the 1K spend, you should end up with at least 112K points in your account.

I actually went through the steps in my older CapOne/MilesOne account, which has the same rewards structure now (but not the same earning structure as the Venture card) and same interface as the Venture rewards account and it let me select items for points for more points than I had in my account, but I didn't want to hit next because I certainly did not want to redeem non-travel related items for one half cent per point. :D

-David

lin821 likes this.
  7. jp1960

jp1960 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I also am a Cap One cardholder, but of the No Hassle Miles type, so it might be different than the Venture Card. I was able to get a partial reward on a air ticket thru the redemption site. I won't go into the details because I don't want to get in trouble with Capital One, let us just say when you go to the redemption page you can adjust how many "tickets" are in your travel purchase. Hope that helps....

8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm this true. After my spend I now have 112K points in my account!

LIH Prem likes this.
  9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I surmise that technique may only work for charges incurred from what Capital One recognizes to be air carriers. I noticed that the items that were billed from air carriers had a dropdown where I could select the number of "tickets" represented by that line item, but had no idea what it was for. In my case, it was for a $25 checked bag fee, so the whole idea of "tickets" didn't make sense anyway.

So, now it's my turn for a question based on how I'm assuming airline reward redemptions work. I'll phrase it in the form of a hypothetical and someone please let me know if I'm on track.

Let's say I purchase 4 airline tickets from Continental (just an example for the sake of the question) at an all-in price of $250 each in a single transaction on my card (total = $1000). When that shows up on my rewards statement, CapOne sees that I had a single line-item charge of $1000 from Continental and assumes that's for airfare, but has no way of knowing whether I bought a single $1000 ticket or the 4 $250 tickets that I actually bought ... hence the dropdown. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, in my case, I'd go to that line item, select "4" in the number of tickets, and that would have the effect of splitting that line item into 4 for the purposes of redemption? If so, that's great.

So that's the legitemate way of using the "tickets" dropdown, but I suppose somene could "game the system" by taking a single $1000 ticket purchase and telling them it was really 4 $250 tickets so they could do a "partial redemption." I figure the cost of the few people pulling that stunt is less than what CapOne would have to pay to verify the actual number of tickets purchased for any given charge.

Still doesn't help for non-airline spend, though. I wish I'd have charged my recent Marriott stay in one- or two-night blocks.

10. jp1960

jp1960 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Ed, Sorry about the delay, I lost this thread, so I couldn't reply.
    In your example, you are correct, Cap One would show the $1000 charge and it would be up to you to selct the amount of tickets it represented. So, the way Cap One shows the redemption, you CAN do a "partial" redemption. In the example you showed, let's say you had only 30,000 No Hassle Miles, you COULD select "10" on the dropdown at the rewards site and redeem all 30,000 miles for a $300 travel credit to your account.