Capital One Credit Card Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by sandratravels, Aug 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    I am new to milepoint. I have a question for the credit card gurus. (Thank you in advance for your feedback).

I have a Capital One No Hassle Rewards MC card that I have had for over 10 years. I do not want to cancel the account as it is my longest credit card account. However, I would like to transfer to another card within the Capital One family of credit cards. I rarely use the card, and I want to transfer to a 0 annual fee card.

I am considering requesting a change to the VentureOne Rewards card. However, I would like to receive feedback from others. Which no annual fee, do you think is the best that Capital One offers and why.

Once again, thank you in advance for your feedback.
    -SandraTravels

Kalboz likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you be willing to ammend your annual fee requirement to $0 for one year? Changing a card once a year might be "no hassle" to many, though not acceptable to some. But if you're flexible on this, then consider Spark Cash or Spark Miles business cards. Both pay 2% back (or its equivalent in points) and sign up bonuses up to $150.

3. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    M&VO,
    Yes, I would be open to this idea. My ultimate goal is to keep the card account intact, but I want a 0 annual fee, since there are other cards I usually use for everyday expenses and etc. I could only qualify for the Spark Cash, as I have no business.
    Thank you for the tip.

4. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    How often do you use the card? If not often, the VentureOne is probably your best bet. I just put our newspaper subscription on it and that keeps it active. Keep in mind C1 considers this an "Upgrade" and the make you ineligible for further upgrades and/or promotions/bonuses for 6 months.

Can you change a personal card account to a business account with C1? Seems unlikely.

5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I don't think so either. I was thinking about dealing with the existing account and choosing a new one as separate projects. The idea to downgrade an existing account to a free product, then keep it inactive just to maintain its age would make sense. But C1 is very unreliable as far as keeping the account age intact. As an example, when C1 took over ING Direct mortgage business, they promised to keep existing mortgages unaffected. Then 6 months after the takeover, they suddenly reported those accounts as "new loans" to credit bureaus.

So while it may be worth trying to "change" or downgrade an existing account, I wouldn't rely on this step to preserve the account age.

6. sandratravels

sandratravels Member

Status Points:
    Boondr/M7VO,
    Thank you for the feedback. I am considering calling CapitalOne and requesting a change to another card and ask them to tell me specifically the implications and stress I want to keep the card intake. I am not concerned about any updgrade/downgrade issues as I do not plan to get another card through them. They do not offer cards I am interested in.

Thank you once again for your feedback.
    -Sandra

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend the QuickSilver One. No Annual Fee, and 1.5% Rewards on all purchases.

8. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    How long have you had your other credit cards? How high is your credit score? Are you planning on shopping for a mortgage or a car loan soon? If you really don't use your current Capital One card and aren't really interested in any of their other card products, perhaps it would make sense to simply close the account and take the temporary ding on your credit score (especially if as M7VO said, they are unreliable as far as keeping account ages intact).

While having a very old line of credit has its pluses, any card you're not using is tying up some of your total credit which could be more profitably shifted to a card you'd actually get some real benefits from.

9. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get their new Quicksilver card. $100 sign up bonus, no annual fee , no foreign transaction fees and 1.50% cash back on all purchases.. You don't have to wait for the cash back either as it comes instantly. It's really a no-brainer!

10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points: