Capital One 100,000 Mile Signup (Miles Match) Bonus is Over

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gleff, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I provide more details here:
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...ones-100000-point-signup-match-offer-is-over/

The miles have run out, no more applications will be eligible for the miles. But anyone with an approved application has 45 days to claim their miles. In other words, no one that's already been approved gets hosed on the deal. They're going to go beyond the billion points in order to honor the deal for folks that have applied thinking they'd be eligible for the offer.

They originally said the offer would run through mid-May or until the miles ran out. Randy had mentioned he thought they'd run out in mid-April. It's not quite there yet. So the offer was bigger than anyone expected.

Capital One already seems to be coordinating themselves well with this, I just saw a Venture card commercial with Alec Baldwin and it wasn't the mileage match offer. That was quick (but important, they wouldn't want to advertise an offer that's over).

I'm glad to see Capital One honoring the points for folks that haven't reserved their miles yet, after all the delay is frequently on Capital One's end in providing pass codes. Folks will have 45 days from account opening to claim their points. I didn't expect anything less, despite all of the hand wringing. It would have defeated the purpose for Capital One -- they're building lots of goodwill and brand recognition, they're spending a lot of money on TV advertising and Alec Baldwin, they wouldn't want this to go bad and it's much cheaper to do right by their customers. Good to see them taking that approach, and thanks for all the points...

2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, as I just saw an ad on TV last night -- touting the match!:confused: But I appreciate that the ad placement is arranged, independently of the those privy to the promotion status!

Billiken likes this.
  3. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm...wondering what they mean by approved. I got my card right when the deal became available...already made my purchases and received my matched miles.

On Saturday my husband applied for the card because he got miles posted he was waiting for from OnePass.... we haven't received anything in writing yet, but he got the "approved" screen when he applied and I know it already hit his credit report. So I am hoping he will still be in the group included in the match....

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    sargenet, sounds like he'll be fine. :)

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I do not beleive that was a 'separate pool' of one billion miles, I believe it was one billion total and that the miles have now been depleted.

6. My misunderstanding then. Thanks again!

7. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. Also have been approved but no passcode as of yet.

8. CubsGirl
    Original Member

CubsGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the news--you're saving me from the drama of trying to triple dip. That was fast! Very good move on their part agreeing to honor miles for all cards approved while the promo was running (for those who register miles and meet the spend).

Interesting timing: the morning after the Championship game--after the heavy advertising throughout the tourney. I suspect that they will end up matching more than a billion, and I also suspect that they had already paid for the ads in last night's game and choose to follow through and keep it open while the ad campaign was on. Would love to see how the numbers all play out for them.

I've made the spend and moved these cards to the proverbial sock drawer for the moment, (Chase Continental Card is giving a bonus on spend), but I may give these cards a second look down the line.

Cholula likes this.
  9. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    Folks elsewhere are reporting that the promo ends tonight at midnight, so it sounds like there might still be a few hours to get in on this.

10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's still on the Venture Card home page. So if you apply right now perhaps they'll honor it. But Capital One has now sent out a press release saying it's over.

11. Force
    Original Member

Force Active Member

Status Points:
    A family member received the approval letter yesterday but no card or passcode yet. May I assume that all would be okay?

12. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    It is on the Venture Card page, but when you click through it explicitly says that the promo is over. There's some chance it'll work (maybe if someone gets an online chat transcript saying approvals through midnight tonight will count) but not much in my opinion.

Cholula likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've just gotten confirmation that anyone who already applied before the offer ended, but that has not yet been approved, will be eligible for the match (provided that they are eventually approved).

Not from a CSR. :) I asked:

Will Capital One still honor the offer for folks that applied during the offer, but whom Capital One simply didn’t make a decision on approval prior to 8am this morning? (E.g. applied a couple of days ago, they get approved tomorrow, will they still be able to get the match?)​

And got the following reply:

They will still be able to participate (assuming they are eventually approved for a card) as long as they applied during the promotion.​

14. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    I am sure that anyone who applied during the promo will get their points (assuming approval and qualifying spend).

The question is when does the promo end. Numerous folks (myself now included) have heard from CSRs that the promo ends at midnight tonight. Normally I don't trust CSRs too much, but it seems like there are many data points suggesting the promo ends tonight. Usually when something is unclear, you'll get 3 different answers from 3 different CSRs, which is not the case here.

The 110k points have posted to all of the accounts of my family members and friends who took advantage. But if the promo is still good for a few more hours, I will make one final push with some friends who were on the fence earlier.

15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was some misinformation out there then, because I was told by a csr that they were two separate pools.

16. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's my real question... after a month and a half of insane workloads today was the day I've been able to clear off for 'personal' time... and was planning to apply for this card. No way in hell I'll do it for the 10k points, 110k yes.

17. Ed1

Ed1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just applied for the Venture credit card this morning, I thought the bonus was too good to pass on.
    I was approved and called customer service.
    I was told that the offer was valid for the rest of the day and I should wait for the verification by email in 7 to 10 days.

18. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Spouse hit her 1K spend this morning. Her 10K signup bonus (+2K pts) is in the account. Within the next few days, her 100K match should appear. :)

Cap 1 is now her new everyday card unless another "fat" signup bonus comes our way. I got turned down with 800 FICO's a while back. :eek:

19. A side note to those who have not received emails... you might call and ask for passcode. I did not receive ANY emails from C1 at all during this process. Once I set up online sign ons for our accounts I tired the email tests and nothing. I ended up having to use a yahoo account for them to finally go through.

Luckily... miles were not affected... safe and sound waiting to be used.

20. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Gary, thanks for the news, another heads up for milepoint.

Here's what I think: Because of the quick take-up on this Match My Miles offer and the fact that the economy is showing signs of better days, I'm willing to bet that the 'credit card wars' are not over and would not be surprised if over the next few months we see even more activity in this area to place a new piece of plastic in your wallet—with a reward for doing so. For whatever reason, 100K seems to be the new level of interest, owing it all to the level that the original outrageous offer from British Airways Executive Club started things with. I don't think it's a matter of IF, rather it is WHO.

21. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    I hope you're right. Getting 100k miles (BA and AA) for a credit card bonus is just insane, but I'll take it and smile all the way to Australia.

22. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The credit card folks ain't done. Seriously. We've seen 100k offers from American, BA, and Capital One. We've seen 75k offers from American. We've seen 50k offers from United and BA. Have we seen a Continental 50k even? I know we've seen 50k and 100k from Amex Platinum, though the latter has always been targeted.

It's getting to be the new normal. Fools like me used to get excited churning 15k and 20k at a time. :D

Tim O'Brien likes this.
  23. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the updated info from everybody!

Mrs. Cholula applied and was accepted over the weekend. We're just not awaiting the card to show up so we can do the $1K spend and get the miles rolling. :)

Exiled in Express and Traveller like this.
  24. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Capital One CSR stated today at 1pm that new infomration is that all applications approved
    by April 5, 2011, will be eligible for the 1 Billion point promo.

Gleff's information is still accurate. Capital One CSRs (many of them) earlier stated the application need to be approved, credit card account number generated, miles statement submitted by April 5, 2011.

Now all that must occur by April 5, 2011, is the initial application approved.