Capital One 100,000 Mile Signup Bonus ("Status Match") for their Venture Card

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gleff, Mar 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Read on, it's actually a 110,000 mile signup bonus, worth $1100 towards paid, mileage-earning travel.

It's Capital One's Venture "Match My Miles" Challenge
    http://www.capitaloneventure.com/#/Welcome

And it's up on the CapitalOne.com home page as well.

After credit card approval you'll need to submit proof of your current mileage account balance, then spend $1k on the card within 90 days and they'll match your account balance up to 100,000 miles. (Competing statement must be received within 45 days of account opening.)

They've capped the matching program at "one billion miles." I suppose it's an open question how long that'll last but we should be good for a month. Though the offer also ends May 13.

It's unclear if you have to show you've earned 100k miles from a co-branded credit card or if you have to have 100k miles in your account. It almost certainly has to just be the latter, since the FAQ says what you have to do to receive the miles is "Reserve your miles by registering online and submitting proof of your airline miles within 45 days of being approved for the Venture card." (emphasis mine.) Elsewhere they reference 100,000 credit card miles but I suspect that's just their marketing pitch to conflate credit card miles with miles.

They will 'match' Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Spirit, United, US Airways, and Virgin. They'll also match Airtran (1000 miles in their program per credit) and Southwest (1200 miles in their program per credit).

There's also a 10,000 point account opening bonus that you'll get after qualifying spend as wel, so it's really a 110,000 mile signup bonus.
    So for folks who have a mileage account with 100k miles in it, they can get an $1100 credit towards paid airfare by signing up for this card.

Now, it's not a terrible card for someone who wants to earn domestic airfare for their credit card spend. I'd still recommend a good 2% cash back card instead for such a person. That's not my goal.

But as far as proprietary points programs go, with the past Thank You Points devaluation, this one isn't terrible since all spend earns 2 points per dollar and with each point worth ~ a penny that's a 2% rebate towards travel. And of course Capital One pioneered no foreign currency fees.

I'll definitely sign up for this card, and I'll meet their minimum spend requirement. The extent to which I put additional spend on the card, however, is a different question entirely.

wrxmom, hulagrrl210, joesmoe and 30 others like this.
  2. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm...not a fan of the credit pull trifecta, but this seems like a hell of a deal. So...tempting...

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  4. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:

Sahkuhnder and miles and smiles like this.
  5. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I'm thinking this only applies to miles earned in one given statement within the past 6 months.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Nah, I believe the statement will just have to show your account balance.

miles and smiles likes this.
  7. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer: read on
    This is the only Credit Card I have ever been turned down for:

We couldn't approve you for the Capital One® Credit Card and we'll follow up in writing within a couple of weeks to explain the specific reasoning behind our decision.

score: 990

milchap likes this.
  8. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never thought I'd be excited by capital one

hulagrrl210, Cody and arkleseizure like this.
  9. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha - me too!

Just applied and was approved. Now to sign up the wife as well.

swisshera and miles and smiles like this.
  10. scotty00
    Original Member

scotty00 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Having each report pulled would be a bummer, but like you said, it's a great deal.

milchap likes this.
  11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The question I have is that Capital specifically says they will match miles earned via a mileage earning CREDIT CARD. How would Capital know how many miles in your account were earned from a credit card?

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  12. Force
    Original Member

Force Active Member

Status Points:
    It's a great deal if there is one pull. Not so great for three hard pulls. For example, with three hard pulls, one can get 75K AA, 50K CO and 50K DL.

13. booyaa
    Original Member

booyaa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Just checked my Delta AMEX, Citi AA Visa and AMEX, and Chase CO MC, unless I'm missing something, each statement only reports the miles earned within that period.

Unless by statement they mean the actual airline program statement (I know they used that term, but their wording in this whole thing seem inconsistent), which makes referring to the airline rewards cards they match to kind of pointless

Sahkuhnder and MrsBobSgt like this.
  14. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got approved for the card. I guess it helps that I do not currently have a Capital One product.

Thanks for the link gleff. The $1,100 was just too much to leave laying on the table. I am sure I will not have any trouble spending that on airfare. Now to get my wife balance up to 100,000 in one of her accounts by the end of the promotion so she can take advantage of this offer as well.

15. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why do you say they do three hard pulls?

16. arkleseizure
    Original Member

Status Points:
    True and those would be way more valuable...except I've drained those wells for now. And at least being spread out, its unlikely that the 3 pulls makes too much of a difference in future apps (most of my pulls are EQ anyways). Guess I'll do my car loan app then this card! Oh boy...

17. arkleseizure
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Capital One generally pulls from each of the 3 credit bureaus, not just one.

Sahkuhnder and JohnDeere19 like this.
  18. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Venture website reports "Use miles for travel or use miles for gift cards, charity donations, merchandise, any more"

Anyone have experience with buying gift cards? Merchandise? How do these miles work with those ...

miles and smiles likes this.
  19. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    T&C posted above by booyaa - the 5th bullet point states "complete a form and submit a current airline rewards program statement as proof of your existing rewards/miles".

MrsBobSgt and miles and smiles like this.
  20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed, not a credit card statement.

MrsBobSgt and miles and smiles like this.
  21. gpapadop
    Original Member

gpapadop Silver Member

Status Points:
    In and approved. Now should I do it for the wife too...I never dreamed the day would come that I will be getting a Capital One cc!!

22. A5Globetrotter

A5Globetrotter Active Member

Status Points:
    Aside from being approved, is there anything I am missing? If you got the Citi AAdvantage bonus recently (75k+), is this not a slam dunk?

23. xp0
    Original Member

xp0 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apparently someone with a "990" credit score was denied above. *Shrugs* I was approved and I dont think my Credit Score is 990.

24. newhousejim

newhousejim Active Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone confirm what bureau(s) that they used?

25. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just don't know if I can get past how much I despise capital one.

though this is the best reason i've seen so far.