Capacity control/ blackouts

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by petersbar, Sep 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. petersbar

petersbar Member

Status Points:
    Anyone had experience with not being able to book a room when there's plenty of rooms available for points? The terms and condition of Marriott rewards mentions nothing off this. I understand they instituted a "no blackout policy" in 2011. I consider the T&C my contract with Marriott rewards? Am I wrong? I'm ready to blast them in the Twitterverse

MX likes this.
  2. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

NJUPINTHEAIR Silver Member

Status Points:
    First, the no blackout rule only applies to standard award room availability. So, these must be standard award rooms not ones with perhaps a better view, etc. Second, the no blackout rule is not like SPG's -- hotels are unfortunately permitted to black out space when there is a special event or an extraordinary demand date.

However, do not despair. I had been checking for a Saturday night in Munich for Oktoberfest and there was consistently no reward availability although there was standard paid available. I usually checked on a daily basis. Well, yesterday, approx 2 weeks out I got lucky and snagged a reward room when the going rate is 315 Euros/night. So, rooms do occasionally open up with most likely a cancellation, or perhaps the hotel sometimes putting more rooms up for award availability.

MX likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that condition is indeed part of a "no blackout policy", then the OP would be fully justified to blast Marriott for using deceptive or misleading terminology. ;)