Can't Use Upgrades

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MSYgirl, Mar 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've lost my status, and some of you on here know why. So I had to book a flight to my college graduation, and it does not allow me to use my upgrades since I have no status anymore.

So, I have 12 upgrades sitting in my account from being Platinum AA. For reasons my close friends know (@Sammich ), I will probably not gain status again. So my question is, can I bestow my 12 upgrades on my lovely fellow MP members? Can they be transferred? I have applied them to other people when boarding a plane, but I'm not sure if I can gift/transfer them in advance. Seems a waste to let them sit there and AA not let me use them.

So, give me some advice and if they can be transferred, who wants them?

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think, if I remember correctly, those stickers cant be transferred to another member? But they can be redeemed as actual miles by calling in. (Probably will take a few calls though)

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to remember that they can also be used for Full Fare Y. Also, I am confused. You went from Platinum to Cardboard? Don't you just drop to Gold first. and the Stickers work for Gold. They may not be easy to use, because PLT and EXP get the first upgrades, but supposedly they do still work for Golds.

Newscience, Sammich and MSYgirl like this.
  4. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, Platinum to plankton.

I did use them when I was previously gold before turning platinum, but I dropped from platinum to nada because I didn't requal (and I didn't see the point of paying AA $1200 to buy my renewal when I won't be flying much anymore).

daninstl, Newscience and Sammich like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    If, as @Sammich says, they can be redeemed for miles, simply sock them into your miles account for a future trip? Good luck!

daninstl, Sammich and MX like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your chances of getting them redeemed for miles are pretty slim to none. (Waaay) Long gone are the days when one could get 2000 miles for each upgrade.

My suggestions are:
    1 Forget about them for a while ....change your AA account to a foreign address and some time in the future call in and plead your case stating that you no longer live in the US wont
    be doing so for a while and consequently the upgrades are useless ....an sympathetic agent may give you miles for them
    Note it might not help your case if you are earning Dining program miles or any similar shopping rewards miles on regular basis.

2) Alternately and a more costly proposition and if perhaps sometime in the future you wait until you have a TA or some other AA/OW flights and redo a Gold or Plat challenge.

On another related topic AA for some years now has eliminated status soft landings.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Newscience, Sammich and MX like this.
  7. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is possible to transfer 500 mile upgrades to another AAdvantage member. I recently was traveling with a colleague who no longer has status but has 30+ certs in his account he can never use. At the checkin counter the AAgent was able to transfer 4 of his 50 mile certs into my account so I could use them to upgrade him as a companion.

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's really not the same thing. Basically your status permitted AA to pull only the required amount of upgrades from his account to upgrade him so they were not "transferred to your account"
    and he most certainly could not have moved all 30 to your account.
    When an upgrade request is made online you are instructed to call aa.com and request which account they can be pulled from. (this had not been possible, I believe, up until fairly recently)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    flyforawg likes this.
  9. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Q&A on merging the programs may help (on AA flights, upgrade availability based on status of elite, infers E500's can be pulled from companion, don't need same pnr, just same flight).

Those upgrade instruments may have value!

(maybe start an app, posting elites willing to adopt "companions" for flights, something like postings of folks willing to guest others into clubs...)

FROM https://www.aa.com/arriving/socialfaq.html

Q:
    What is the policy for upgrading a travel companion with 500-mile upgrades?
    A:

When traveling on American Airlines flights: The member and the travel companion must be traveling on the same flight, but can be booked in separate reservations. The customer will need to call Reservations to have the two PNRs linked so that the upgrades can be deducted from the correct account and the request can be prioritized based on the sponsor member’s elite status.

When traveling on US Airways flights: The member and travel companion must be traveling on the same flight and booked in the same reservation.

This variation in experience will continue to exist until we have a single reservation system in late 2015.

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat with AA with a bunch of upgrades that just sit there. Eventually I'll regain Gold and be able to use them. I just worry they will expire or be taken away someday before I get the chance.

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The upgrades do not expire.

daninstl, Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither do did "old miles".

daninstl, Newscience and newbluesea like this.
  13. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eventually my colleague did not make the upgrade. He was on the standby list. I made it. He did not. His 4 500 mile upgrades are still sitting in my account.

14. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    brodyf, this is puzzling - injecting facts into the discussion, no rant, just pointing out what happened... oh wait, this isn't TOBB...

I think agents have some powers to be creative when the need arises - once some SWU's were pulled twice, leaving me short for a TATL coming up soon. The AAngel at first said she had corrected things and they'd be back in my account in a few weeks. After explaining our iminent departure (and my iminent demise?) we were "given" two more as replacements. It wasn't a gift, as there had been an erroneous double pull of SWU's, but the net effect was to keep me in balance on SWU's. Another undocumented power of AAngels.

brodyf likes this.