Can't use United E-Certificate

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DanielleDW, Jan 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. DanielleDW

DanielleDW Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to use a $250 e-certificate from United, but am finding almost no eligible flights, even when I seem to be following all the terms and conditions. Has anyone had this experience before?

The flight I want to use it for is operated by United and is not G-class, as specified in the rules, but it still won't apply the amount of the certificate to the price. I'm pasting the T&C below, in case it helps.

I enter the certificate number when I search for flights, and am finding MAYBE one flight a day that it can be used for, if that. It WILL let me use it on a first class fare for the flight I want, but not economy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Crazy question, but are you trying to book a flight which costs less than $250 base fare (not including taxes and fees)? It's never possible on united.com to book a ticket which costs, for example, $230, plus $30 in taxes, = $260 total with a $250 e-certificate.

If that's your problem (or even if it isn't), try calling united.com Web Support, 800 589 5582. Just say what you've told us here - "hi, I'm trying to book a trip and use an e-certificate, but for some reason it isn't working." They're really good at helping out.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. DanielleDW

DanielleDW Active Member

Status Points:
    Maybe that's the problem. I just assumed I'd forfeit the value over the base fare (only $4 in this case.) However, it does seem like it will let me use it from another city or on another day, when the base fare is also below $250. In that case, the amount of the fare after the certificate is applied comes up as $.01. I'll try calling and seeing if they can help me.

Thanks.

4. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure those UA phone persons in India can be a great help! Good Luck, keep us posted.

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Book a more expensive fare class. I did this with a $150 one I used last year. Paid $20 or so.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    make sure you are flying on United metal, last time I tried to use one in December they still weren't working on former CO flights.

7. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just a couple weeks ago booked a combined UA/CO metal ticket using a United e-cert on united.com, with some of the CO metal being CO coded and some being UA coded. So I don't think this is the issue.

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not all CO metal is eligible...I don't know why but it's sometimes annoying to find something that works for me schedule-wise and it's ineligible.

9. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    In order to use an eCert online, the base fare must be above the eCert's face value.

fwiw, often the net base fare will appear as $0.01 but IME, those still can't be booked online.

Usually, a call to Web Support will be what's required get your itin ticketed.

Another possible CO issue on .bomb is when the CO flight shown carries no UA flight number. In those cases that flight will show as not eligible for use with the ECert.

When I had that issue, again Web Support, (after a lengthy hold) was able to do whatever they needed to do to apply the eCert & ticket the itin.