Can't use miles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by JerseyJules, Dec 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JerseyJules

JerseyJules Active Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown Delta since 2006 but I keep earning miles through Hilton Honors. When I saw that I had 10,301 miles I decided that it was time to cash out and cancel my account. When I went to the Skymiles marketplace it told me I wasn't able to redeem for anything because "SkyMiles Marketplace is a benefit for Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion® Members & Delta SkyMiles® Credit Cardmembers from American Express®." I have no reason to keep earning miles and I don't plan on flying anytime soon but I don't want to just forfeit the miles when I cancel my account. Is there any other way for me to use them? Any way to sell them? Any way to transfer them to another program? Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Newscience likes this.
  2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll help you out - send em my way! :)

YULtide and MSYgirl like this.
  3. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

I'm sure there's no shortage of people here willing to accept them as a donation. ;)

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could use an intra-Hawaiian award for 10k miles. ;)

5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    You may be able to donate them to causes like American Red Cross, Children's Cancer Research, American Cancer Society and many others. I would think membership level wouldn't apply in case of a donation.

ffitalia, YULtide and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, Delta Airlines identifies charities that you can donate your miles to on their website. I should think that there's at least one identified charity that is worthy of a miles donation:

https://www.delta.com/buygftxfer/displayDonateMiles.action

7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could wait until you have 12,500 miles and then try to get an award ticket for yourself or someone you know (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...award-travel/airlines-and-mileage-charts.html).

If you don't want to wait, you can also buy the miles you're missing (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/support/faqs/skymiles/buy-miles-faqs.html).

ffitalia and Newscience like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    While they price in each direction, Delta does not sell one-way awards. Minimum 25k would be required for an award ticket.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  9. JerseyJules

JerseyJules Active Member

Status Points:
    I have no problem donating the miles to charity if Delta could tell me the value. I donate to the Red Cross and the American Cancer Society regularly and I know what I give... No suck luck with Delta. Let me explain: I know what I have to spend to earn 10,000 miles. I also know that it costs about $350 to buy 10,000 miles. What I don't know is what Delta is donating for my 10,000 miles... It could be $10 or it could be $100. If it's a higher amount then that's great but if it's a lower amount then I'm wasting the miles and essentially cheating the charity. I would rather donate money directly. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Magazine subscription? Barron's, The Economist and Wall Street Journal are fairly high miles redemptions. If you get enough magazines already, you could gift one. (I'd love the Economist...:p)
    https://subscription.points.com/mag...FD8918C67CE449D72E52C?execution=e1s1&lp=Delta

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why do you plan to cancel your DL FF account? It costs nothing, miles don't expire, and you might find that later on you will eitheer earn more DL miles or find a good use for them. For example, if you do need to fly, you might be able to get an upgradde with your miles.

OTOH, I agree with the advice to earn miles or points elsewhere on your Hilton stays.

FetePerfection likes this.
  13. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hunch is till 1/6/14 Hilton gave a fixed amount of miles per stay depending on the type of property you were satyinga t eg Hampton earned 100 miles, DT,ES Hils earned 500 miles. From 1/6/14 onwards its going to be 1 mile per $1 so unless a person has very high bills it doesnt pay any longer to go with variable miles but rather Pts & Pts, which is what I think HH wanted all along to cut down on its expenses

Ill miss it as lately I was earning with IB and that was 150/750 and over the yr by earning 30k it meant 2 free NY-FL tkts on AA. Now Im entering my spending mode of HH pts and dont forsee even 1 paid stay going forward, they simply killed whatever was good about the program imo

14. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops! I forgot about that. :oops:

15. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, the Economist subscription seems to be paper only and does not include the web version. In the past year or so, they have begun to offering the web versions separately from the print version, and charging a premium if you want both. :oops:

I would get Barrons which really is a better value, but in the past couple of years it quit coming in the mail and they began tossing it on my driveway. The suspend/resume service was spotty. I primarily got it for Alan Abelson's amusing column anyway!

David

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976 likes this.